Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

center console display question

Old 04-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default center console display question

Hello everyone,

I have a
1996 jeep grand cherokee 4.0l engine automatic 2wd.

i've been doing through and doing repairs to my vehicle and there are two things i am wondering about.

seems jeeps came with the option for a central console display not sure if it was standard on 4wd's or what but where i see them in pictures i just have a cubby hole.

my question is if I was to get a center display console (not sure where to find one either off hand) would i be able to install it on the jeep without having to do wiring work? seems the console can show what doors are open, time, date, and i guess warnings like low fluid levels etc. if it's something I can just buy and put in that would be awesome. I'd think it would be cheaper production wise to have all the jeeps have the wires there even if the console was not installed but i could be wrong.

do anyone know if the wiring is there or what to look for?

also i saw a video on the center console piece when they wobble (mine wobbles bad actually cane move up and back in addition to the sides) there was a bracket that could be replaced. the jeeps used a plastic one but the replacement in the video was a metal one, but i can't find one for my year, the one in the video and on the website was for a 97-2004 or 2001. i tried searching the website but they didn't list one for my year.

thanks

ryan
Old 04-24-2019, 11:29 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

I'm assuming you have the Graphic Display Module (GDM) where it is a white diagram of a Jeep and it lights up on the diagram? Yes the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) was available with a display screen showing warning messages. However, it's not worth switching out the GDM for an EVIC due to the fact that EVIC's tend to have issues where they trigger false warnings, and I believe there are additional sensors (coolant level, washer fluid level, 4WD system, etc.) that are installed with the EVIC that just aren't there with the GDM. I believe the GDM was included on Laredos ONLY and ONLY when equipped with Selec-Trac. If you bought a Limited, OR if you opted for Quadra-Trac, you automatically got the EVIC along with the package.

Hope this helps... I had an EVIC in my '94 Laredo with Quadra-Trac and it annoyed me with false warnings for 'Door Ajar' and 'Service 4WD System', even though the doors weren't open, and the 4WD system (I tested it in deep snow) was working fine. Sometimes I felt like just ripping it out, LOL.

-Vince
Old 04-29-2019, 02:02 AM
Seasoned Member

sorry for the delay. seems I was mia everywhere for a few days and didn't even realize it.

as for my display no i don't have anything at all. if you look at pictures and see the displays at i just have a cubby hole to put things in.

my question was if anyone know if i was to find a display at a junk yard if the jeep itself would have a connection to hook it up too.

its really low on stuff to do but i was just wondering, i've seen videos of the display with the vehicle that shows doors ajar and ones that had that display and had Waring messages like temp or so warnings.

although after posting this i got a odb2 scanner and the tools or app is uses seems like i can use a tablet or something for lots of different uses other than code diagnostics.

i was just really wondering if its possible to easily install one of them if the jeep itself would have the connections i just couldn't image they would not have them there seems like it would be more of a logistic issue to not install the wiring on some vehicles and not others other than having them there and just covering them up for those who didn't get the displays but maybe i am wrong, wouldn't be the first nor the last time.
i also bought a hud display for my 98 jeep back in 2014 that never made it out of the box that would display a lot of stuff too.

ryan
Old 04-29-2019, 06:26 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

most zj owners would jump at the chance to have the cubbyhole the solder con. on the display were not very good lots of problems
Old 05-01-2019, 03:47 AM
Seasoned Member

well then that answers my question sounds like its best the way it is.