Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

cciyu front hubs, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default cciyu front hubs, any good?

My 2004 GC Laredo has a good bit of slack in the front wheel bearings and since hunting season is over I'm ready to resume repair work on it. Are the CCIYU replacement hubs OK for a hunting rig that is not a daily driver? They list on E-bay for around 30 bucks as opposed to hundreds of dollars for Mopar hubs.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I don't understand where you looked, but rockauto.com has Timkin, Moog, and Raybestos all for around $65 and the Mopar one is $106. A $30 hub in my opinion isn't worth putting on.

Last edited by dave1123; 02-07-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:59 AM

Thanks Dave, that price on the Mopar is better than what I saw on E=bay at around 135 each plus shipping. I was hoping someone had actually tried the less expensive hubs as name brand and price are not always a guarantee of vastly superior qua;lity. for example I have owned about a half dozen Colt .45 1911 pistols over the years and every one of them would jam at least one round out of fifty as they came out of the b ox brand new. My Taurus 1911 .45 cost half as much and has not jammed even once in a couple of thousand rounds, and my cheaper Remington 1911 has no jams in about 500 rounds of fire.

For a vehicle that only is going to get about 1000 miles a year put on it I think I will go ahead and order the cheaper hubs unless someone steps up with a horror story in the next few days based on personal experience with using them. The money I save on those bearings will pay for a new five year heavy duty battery and some other parts as well. At least then I can come back and report whether the hub assemblies worked or were total junk either saving someone else a lot of money or preventing them from wasting some.

Last edited by Cleman Simpson; 02-08-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I'm sort of biased when it comes to bearings. I've worked in machine tool repair and Timkin was our go-to for any bearings we needed. I've never had to replace one that was a production fault.

Last edited by dave1123; 02-08-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:30 PM

If this was my jeep Cherokee latitude which gets driven daily and sometimes on long road trips I would be installing premium parts without a doubt.
But like I said this thing doesn't get driven enough outside of hunting season to even keep the battery charged and never more than a few miles from home. Might as well try out the cheap stuff to keep mama from throwing a fit a bout how much I'm spending on something we don't even drive, LOL.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:43 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Yeah, I can understand that! My wife and I almost came to blows over auto parts. My old Chevy truck, my DD for commuting to work, needed a starter. I wanted to buy a new one and she told me we didn't have the money for one, so I got a junkyard one. A month later, her A/C compressor went on her Caravan, and all of a sudden we had the money for that! I refused to work on it! She didn't talk to me for 3 days, then begged me to fix it. I never had a problem buying parts for my truck again.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:46 AM

LOL. I used to spend tons of money on my hot rods, Harleys, and mud buggys but now I'm disabled and can't work 100 hours a week so cash is more difficult to part with.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Question

Originally Posted by Cleman Simpson
LOL. I used to spend tons of money on my hot rods, Harleys, and mud buggys but now I'm disabled and can't work 100 hours a week so cash is more difficult to part with.
I'm on that same ship...
My bearings are also squealing - lookin at new front hubs - Soo...

--> Would you like to report on how those 'cheep' bearings are treating you? - ???
Old 02-12-2017, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I'm with Dave on the bearings not a good place to go cheap, and like others I'm to poor to buy cheap.

As for 1911 .45's I still carry 2 of them one a Sig and the other a S&W Custom shop 3" combat I bet my life on them. Bad part hard to carry in summer without printing then I carry a Sig P 938 9mm EDC/CCW. I had problems with the Kimber I sold of a jam every 3-500 rnd's that's one two many for me with the ammo I carry in them.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I'm with Dave on the bearings not a good place to go cheap, and like others I'm to poor to buy cheap.

As for 1911 .45's I still carry 2 of them one a Sig and the other a S&W Custom shop 3" combat I bet my life on them. Bad part hard to carry in summer without printing then I carry a Sig P 938 9mm EDC/CCW. I had problems with the Kimber I sold of a jam every 3-500 rnd's that's one two many for me with the ammo I carry in them.
Yeah, I can't abide an undependable carry gun. We have open carry here in Texas now so you can strap on whatever you want but I prefer to carry discreetly and a 1911 government model is a little bit hard to concealed carry in hot weather. and we got lots of hot weather here. I have a Glock 19 9mm I carry sometimes but I really aint a fan of 9mm pistols, I favor big bullets and less trigger time to stop something. When I'm hunting I carry mainly one of my .45 Long Colt Cimmaron or Uberti peacemakers. We got lots of wild hogs and Pumas here so it is a good idea to have a backup gun onyour hip down in these thickets. My Remington 1911 is a commander size and it is a little easier to hide than a government model, and I have a Rossi/Taurus stainless .357 mag snub nose that makes a good little carry gun too.

edit to add: I have never owned a Kimber but friends who have report lackluster reliability out of them. I do own one Kimber 8 round .45 magazine I bought to try out in my other .45 1911 handguns and it is awful. First round feeds nose dive and hang on the feed ramp and slamming it into the gun it does not seat half the time and will eject itself out the bottom of the gun when the first shot is fired. A good magazine is the lifeblood of any semi auto pistol and judging by the magazine I own it is no wonder that Kimber has reliability issues with its 1911 models. The factory 8 round Taurus 1911 magazines work great, as do Colt brand 8 round mags. I have also had good luck with Wilson Combat mags but overall I rate the Colt mags as best.

Last edited by Cleman Simpson; 02-13-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:40 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Where's the "Like" button for this post? I can so relate to that situation!
Old 03-08-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ddelle338
Where's the "Like" button for this post? I can so relate to that situation!
LOL, I kinda drift off topic a bit don't I? I haven't done the wheel bearings yet on my WJ as one thing after another has come up. This crazy weather has me already mowing the three acres I call my yard and both of my big john deere mowers needed some work to get started, then my wife got bad sick for a couple of weeks, then my butchered up right leg started giving me fits...My best 4 wheeling buddy has been out of town working but says he'll give me a hand with the hubs if my leg is still acting up when he gets back to East Texas.