Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Can't figure this one out???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Can't figure this one out???

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee Limited, I bought it off an owner that didn't take care of it well at all. So I started at square one and redid a lot of it so far.. One issue I am having is that on the display when I turn the jeep on is that I get "rear lamp failure" so I went through replaced all bulbs that were bad. I then went back started the jeep and no error until I pushed the brake pedal then I got the error? I am able to turn the headlights turn signals and everything with no error, just as soon as that pedal is pushed the error comes up do I figured it has to be a brake light bulb.
Due to pushing the pedal and it comes on, the only thing I have noticed is that the high brake light has 3 906 bulbs and I am told that it requires 922LL would that make a difference? Any help would be appreciated thanks!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by JDawg965
I have a 97 Grand Cherokee Limited, I bought it off an owner that didn't take care of it well at all. So I started at square one and redid a lot of it so far.. One issue I am having is that on the display when I turn the jeep on is that I get "rear lamp failure" so I went through replaced all bulbs that were bad. I then went back started the jeep and no error until I pushed the brake pedal then I got the error? I am able to turn the headlights turn signals and everything with no error, just as soon as that pedal is pushed the error comes up do I figured it has to be a brake light bulb.
Due to pushing the pedal and it comes on, the only thing I have noticed is that the high brake light has 3 906 bulbs and I am told that it requires 922LL would that make a difference? Any help would be appreciated thanks!!!
Welcome to the ZJ taillight glitch. If you find the fix let me know. Everyone I know with a 93 -98 Grand Cherokee Limited with the pretty picture of a Jeep display has the same problem. I have replaced all the bulbs with the oem types (including the Third brake light bulbs) cleaned connections and used conductive grease. Still get the error. I even replaced the circuitry inside the left rear quarter panel. Be glad you don't get the coolant level sensor bad error. Replaced it too. That error comes and goes. When it's not showing bad sensor error, it shows coolant level low. (also false). Thank goodness they fixed that problem, they did away with that cute picture of a Jeep ZJ, or should I say WJ, Not sure where all these ?J's came from.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

read a few of these seems trailer hitch wiring/plug or side marker light can cause this also......http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=35&g...w=1447&bih=793
Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 AM

If I can't find a fix I am about to just put 12v to the circuit to see if it goes away, I am told that when a bulb is out it breaks the 12v circuit somewhere so, I will do some looking around all my bulbs are new. And it's jus weird that It is fine until the brake is pressed that's why I figured brake light... Others have the issue when the lights are turned on... I will keep everyone informed if I find anything out I am trying to get to it later today but we will see...
Old 01-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Year: 98
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4LI6

If you are getting a coolant error as well, then most likely it is the VIC itself. Common problem and there are threads on how to fix. If you can solder and follow instructions it takes less than an hour.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Really??? No coolant error I was getting one but I was low... I can solder so that's not an issue.. What do I look up to find these threads I am interested in repairing the issue, I hate having any lights on in any
Vehicles I.E cel air bag anything... Thanks let me know
Old 01-01-2012, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

When I had my '97 ZJ and had the 3rd brake light issue, I used the bulbs that were specified in the owners manual for replacement. Had no issues at all. Sold the truck and can't remember the bulb # though, sorry.
Here's the link for repairing the Vehicle Information Center. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c.../#post11719192
Old 01-02-2012, 02:23 PM

Finally got it!!!! Third brake light bulbs have to be 922 there were 906 in mine so I piled up the 922 and Bam!!!! Gone now I have two other issues I need to figure out first is what the heck is this piece???? It goes on the tailgate between the plate bulbs...

Can't figure this one out???-image-1194836006.jpg

Can't figure this one out???-image-1264351881.jpg
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 AM

It's the switch for to open the window above it.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM

How does it work?? Lol I can't figure it out? Am I missing a button or something that goes inside the device? Bc all that was in there was like 2 prongs coming from the plug???