Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Can you pull the head on a WJ without pulling the timing cover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Can you pull the head on a WJ without pulling the timing cover?

There's a lot of discussion online with the 4.7 liter V8 about people being able to pull the heads without taking the timing cover off through the use of a wedge tool or using a rope to keep tension on The Idler sprocket while the head is removed. I think there's some confusion between just removing a cam and actually removing the entire head. It seems to me that you would have to get a wedge very far down there past the head and that because the chain guide actually bolts to the Head I'm not sure it's possible to get the head out.

Conceptually I could see maybe if you zip tied the chain guides together with a wedge between them the angles might allow pressure to be kept on the chain tensioner but I don't know if you can remove the chain tensioner from the head without taking the timing cover off.

Does anyone know if there is a way to MacGyver this because it would cut the job in half. And everybody keeps mentioning it on all the other forms but I haven't heard from anybody that actually did it.

Also plus one for the 4.7 liter V8 dropped valve seat without being overheated problem.

if anyone has any input on this it would be appreciated. Thank you.