Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

To pull headliner / carpet or not to pull

Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default To pull headliner / carpet or not to pull

Just wondering what you guys think. My headliner is sagging (obviously), so I'm thinking about yanking it out along with the carpet. Anyone got pics of theirs? How much louder will it be?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Most everyone says that without the headliner it turns into an oven lol... I replaced mine and it was stupid easy... With the carpet i wouldnt unless it was really dirty and not a DD. As far as noise, your removing what little the XJ does have to act as a barrier so it will be louder and hotter but its all about what you want
Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks sport, I think I'll leave the headliner and replace the fabric at some point. I've been getting a water leak on my drivers floor (maybe it's from the hood release cable), which is a reason that I was thinking of pulling the carpet. Maybe I'll just try to track down the leak.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Can you just replace the headliner with any fabric?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my89xj
If you want it to look like factory, you have to use fabric that has a foam backing. Made specifically for headliners. Remove the headliner and peel off all the old fabric and remove the old decaying foam from the fiberglass headliner itself.

You can purchase headliner fabric online or at most fabric stores like Joann fabrics. It runs about 15 dollars a yard and you'll need three yards for an XJ. Look online for a coupon for Joann fabrics you can find one sometimes for 50% off. If you have a smartphone you can use it to get a phone coupon for 50% off which is what I did.

Use the expensive 3M heavy duty adhesive. Can be found at an auto parts store for about $20 each and you'll need at least two and maybe three cans. Total cost should be under a hundred. Get a buddy to help you, it'll take about an hour and a half.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Muaddib420
If you want it to look like factory, you have to use fabric that has a foam backing. Made specifically for headliners. Remove the headliner and peel off all the old fabric and remove the old decaying foam from the fiberglass headliner itself.

You can purchase headliner fabric online or at most fabric stores like Joann fabrics. It runs about 15 dollars a yard and you'll need three yards for an XJ. Look online for a coupon for Joann fabrics you can find one sometimes for 50% off. If you have a smartphone you can use it to get a phone coupon for 50% off which is what I did.

Use the expensive 3M heavy duty adhesive. Can be found at an auto parts store for about $20 each and you'll need at least two and maybe three cans. Total cost should be under a hundred. Get a buddy to help you, it'll take about an hour and a half.
Got my fabric off of eBay and did it for under a 100 as well....
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM

Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by my89xj
Yes!!! I've done mine. Take at look at my profile. Depending on how heavy the fabric it may not hold up as long. Also depending in the fabric the glue my seep through. I.e. I tried some urban camo, white, and the yellow glue seeped through so had to junk it. Go to a fabric store and find something you like. Just Remember if you ever plan on selling it down the road don't go to crazy. Also most fabric stores will carry the headliner material although it's like $14 a yard for that stuff. Just a heads up.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 PM

I live in FL and I'm running w/o a headliner. I haven't noticed any difference other than I don't have a headliner drooping on my head anymore.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kickice24
I live in FL and I'm running w/o a headliner. I haven't noticed any difference other than I don't have a headliner drooping on my head anymore.
no temperature difference noticed?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Seasoned Member

I have to admit I like the idea of the rough interior look of no carpet / headliner, but temperature is my big concern as I have no AC, and winters are cold.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 ho i6

Originally Posted by theangler
I have to admit I like the idea of the rough interior look of no carpet / headliner, but temperature is my big concern as I have no AC, and winters are cold.
I took out my headliner once to redo it it was terrible and my friend has no headliner and no carpets and it's hot and loud
Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Delta
I took out my headliner once to redo it it was terrible and my friend has no headliner and no carpets and it's hot and loud
Seems to be the common consensus...
Old 07-04-2012, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Hey there. Oh, I happened to notice the other day, on my 90 there is a short section there beside the hood hinge that seems to depend on putty to keep water from running down onto the floor. Something you might check.

I held my headliner fabric to the foam for a while with 1/4 in staples and thumb tacks! Actually sort of worked, (and made "diamond tuck" pattern)

If I had it all to do over, I might cut away the dangling fabric, and just paint the foam, or just leave it like that until I found a nice replacement at the JY. (you DO get lucky sometimes!) (not to disagree that it can be repaired.)

Anyway I ended up wrecking it taking it out and don't miss it. We only get some weeks of broiling weather here.....guess I should keep my foil hat handy!
Attached Thumbnails To pull headliner / carpet or not to pull-101_0274.jpg  
Old 07-05-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by theangler
I haven't noticed a difference, but that's me. Then again, I do have A/C.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

Does anyone have an pictures on an xj with no carpet and a bed linered floor?
Edit: and maybe one of the roof with no head liner?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To pull headliner / carpet or not to pull