Trail Reports Show off pictures of your recent wheeling events.

be VERY careful who you let pull you out of a stuck situation

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default be VERY careful who you let pull you out of a stuck situation

just read thru this, i know its a long read, but check it out...also, if any of you are on the trails anywere, and see the ford truck in one of the last pics, the one that pulled the guy out, make sure you especially dont let that guy any where near your rig..

it was just a bad day of wheeling all around

alright, so a couple buddys thought it would be a good idea to buy a wrecked $250 jeep ZJ to fix up just enough to wheel. so they get it, put a 2 in BB lift on it, put some good knobby tires under it and everything they needed to do...the jeep actually funs great and the tranny actually shifts like a new one.

so we all decide to take a trip to haspin this weekend...we use my WJ as a tow rig and pull my other buddies lifted XJ, and they pull the ZJ and another friends pulls his sami over. i get to charlies house (guy with the XJ that i towed and who i decided to ride with, and this is where the problems begin) at 5 AM saturday. i pull it on the trailer out from behind the barn and we look over the trailer. we find one tires that was starting to split....so we realize, well maybe this jeep isnt making it to haspin...we call our group to see if they have any spare trailer tires but instead they had a whole spare trailer...so we reload the XJ onto the new trailer and off we go.

all is well when we get to haspin...i get my great club discount and the guy was nice enough to give charlie the same discount just bc he was with me. so we unload the rigs and go at it. 10 minutes into the first trail, mike, the fellow driving the wrecked ZJ, breaks an axle shaft. so its done for...then as we are heading back to the lot, my friend Daren wanted to try something with the sami...he gets burried..and we come to find out he knocked his tire off his rim so the wheel was just spinning in the tire as he tried to get himself out....so we get him out and he gimps back to the parking lot...he cleanes the mud outa the rim and goes to fill her up only to find the valve stem was frozen solid.......after about an hr, he finally gets air in it, and the to guys there were in the zj are now riding with us in the XJ

this goe great most of the day after that, until the jeep that im riding in busts a front u-joint and axle shaft. now hes stuck and down to 2 wheel drive...the sami gets him off and we realize the day is now over...so again, we gimp back down the main trail, until we get about a 1/4 mile from the lot. and daren sees a ravine that he wanted to strattle with his sami..it was abut as wide as the sami and about 4 feet deep. there was a part where he had to turn to keep on the ravine, and when he goes to turn, the passenger side of the sami drops into the whole..

heres a vid of it from some one else that was driving by and helped him get out the first time
http://www.gotmudd.com/modules.php?o...&orderby=dateD

well, a guy from there group with an early 90s explorer decides that looks like fun......so he tried and he also fell into the ravine...well, us in the cherokee decide we are going to get the XJ back to the trailer and daren decides to wait around a while to help him get the explorer out and he was going to meet us at the trailers.

an hr goes by and no daren...we call him and he said things just went from bad to worse...some jackass, and youll see why i had to call him that, stopped to help get him out after us XJ guys left bc he was in a full size truck and all they had there before he got there were little samis so they needed a bigger rig to get him outa this ravine...the guy never gets outa his truck just has them hook a strap up, and takes off like a bat outa hell..he pulled the explorer back so fast and hard and with such carelessness, the explorer got yanked up in the air a bit, and nailed a tree at close to 20 MPH in reverse bc of this guy with the full size...they find out its bc hes drunk...the guy who was in the explorer landed in the back in the truck and broke his back..when this idiot realized the guy was hurt, he and his buddies took off like a bat outa hell, and we didnt know it until we heard about it and found out whos rig it was, but right before we heard the news, this guy and his friends trailers were right next to ours...we saw them load up as fast as they could, never said a word to any one, and took off as fast as possible..we went back there and found out why they were in such a hurry......they had to get an ambulance back there, and that ambulence took this guy into town where careflight could land and pick him up........me and my buddys were all ready to knock some sence into this guy who did this, but we all knew, what would that solve you know.

heres a vid of the guy pulling this guy out so hard that he broke his back.....just look at how little of common sence this guy had when he pulled him out
http://www.gotmudd.com/modules.php?o...&orderby=dateD

and then heres what i love about the 4-wheeling community. we all stuck around while this guys (who got hurt) GF went and got their truck and trailer.......well we ended up needing the cat to come back and get this truck out, and we all helped get it on the trailer with a bent tie rod, and got it all strapped down for her...that just kinds goes to show how we all have each others back out there on those trails no matter what your driving

as depressed as we were about what happened, we all pack up and leave...we are going thru connersville and some how get off of RT 1, and all of a sudden there was a stop sign...i say that bc it looked like it was for another road, but then we realized the road we were on came to a dead end..so we hit our brakes hard in my WJ while puling my buddies XJ on the trailer with no trailer brakes, and then we heard behind us, our buddies with the ZJ lock up there brakes, so we pulled forward real quick so they didnt hit us bc the were in a little 4.0 ranger pulling this ZJ on a trailer with no trailer brakes..well bc we pulled forward, and only bc of that, they didnt rear end us, BUT, the hitch on my buddies ranger folded under the preasure and down goes the trailer with the tounge of the trailer laying on the ground with this 4000 lb jeep on it...we get it off the road, and call some else with a truck to come get this trailer, and after 2 hrs, he finally got there

so anyways, that was our day at haspin acres. very eventful, but nothing good came outa anything...my buddy and i decided, next time we see a split in the trailer tire at 5 AM, we are going to take that as a bad sign of worse things to come, and we are going to forget not trie and get another tire or trailer

heres a pic of the idiot as they strap onto the explorer

heres how his explorer was loading it onto the trailer
Old 11-23-2008, 08:28 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

thats messed up man!! i hope that jackass gets what he deserves someday soon for the trouble and injuries he caused.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by bhulty20
thats messed up man!! i hope that jackass gets what he deserves someday soon for the trouble and injuries he caused.
yea, thats what im saying. if we had known that the guys packing up in a real hurry right next to our tow rigs, had just done what they did, me and my 3 other friends that were sitting on the trailer BSing, woulda put a stop to their packing real fast. but we didnt even know anything had even happened until after they left...i mean we know that our other buddy and some other people that we met were down there trying to free that explorer, but we had no idea this asses "helped" until after they left
Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5L I-4

I enjoy alcohol, and I enjoy wheeling, but I never do both at the same time, and quite frankly I won't take part in any trail rides where idiots are drinking. Sure you're not on the road, but you're still under the influence, and you're still operating a vehicle, and people can still get hurt. It sucks that the guy got away, he deserved a little more than a good talking to.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

oh man if i was in your area and i saw that truck all h**l would break loose. if your drunk dont drive even if it was a beater in the woods. that got needs to get whats coming to him. and i bet he gets it real soon.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:46 PM

Year: 1992

This is why you wheel with people you know, or at least share minds with.

I figured this was just going to be a thread about some asswipe that tore off an axle/bumper/crossmember by insisting on a bad pull spot - or that was using a chain or winch cable to tug with.

People are dumb, best wishes for the guy that was injured. One more reason to have your own winch :/
Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 AM

Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5 V6

Oh jeez! I hope your buddy is ok. Don't let this scare you away from wheelin!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

That is messed up, I hope somebody finds that guy and gives him what he has coming to him. Or if they people that wheel in haspen are lucky, that guy will never show his dumba$$ face there again.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by TrueBlueXJ
I enjoy alcohol, and I enjoy wheeling, but I never do both at the same time, and quite frankly I won't take part in any trail rides where idiots are drinking. Sure you're not on the road, but you're still under the influence, and you're still operating a vehicle, and people can still get hurt. It sucks that the guy got away, he deserved a little more than a good talking to.
well i was being mild when i said a good talking to...i meant a good beating, but didnt want to be to brutal for the forum
Old 11-24-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by dayid
This is why you wheel with people you know, or at least share minds with.

I figured this was just going to be a thread about some asswipe that tore off an axle/bumper/crossmember by insisting on a bad pull spot - or that was using a chain or winch cable to tug with.

People are dumb, best wishes for the guy that was injured. One more reason to have your own winch :/
yea, well thats what my buddies say too..when my buddy in the sami got stuck, we were just going to get one of our tow rigs, my jeep, or one of the other jeeps, and unhook it from the trailer and go back and pull him out ourself...but these guys offered, and the guys that helped us out were cool..we talked to them a bit before they pulled the sami out...

then then the guy from their group, in the explorer, got stuck and they didnt have anything heavy enough to pull him out, and the guys winch that got my buddies sami out failed with the explorer...thats when they asked this other guy for help.....but they didnt talk to him before he helped...they just hooked the strap up and thers what happened...

a buddy of mine called it when this bad group of wheelers pulled their tow rigs in next to ours earlier that morning, he said they all looked like a bunch of tools and asses...he couldnt have been more right
Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeebaby
Oh jeez! I hope your buddy is ok. Don't let this scare you away from wheelin!
oh no, it wont scare me away from wheeling...and i dont know the guy who got hurt...he was part of a group that helped our group out earlier..but one of our friends from our group with the sami was there when it happened, then we called him to see what was going on and thats when he told us things just got from bad to worse, so we all unhooked a trailer from on of our tow rigs and flew back there to see if we could help......we helped carry the guarney (SP?) to the ambulance from the explorer....

i did put this story up on the forum on the parks site where this happened at to let them all know about what happened, and put the pic of the guys rig on the post...so as recognizable of a rig as that is, im sure if he comes back, some one will recognize it
Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by drummerwookie
oh no, it wont scare me away from wheeling...and i dont know the guy who got hurt...he was part of a group that helped our group out earlier..but one of our friends from our group with the sami was there when it happened, then we called him to see what was going on and thats when he told us things just got from bad to worse, so we all unhooked a trailer from on of our tow rigs and flew back there to see if we could help......we helped carry the guarney (SP?) to the ambulance from the explorer....

i did put this story up on the forum on the parks site where this happened at to let them all know about what happened, and put the pic of the guys rig on the post...so as recognizable of a rig as that is, im sure if he comes back, some one will recognize it
thats great man.... this guy will for sure get what he's got coming to him if he pulls this rig out of his garage. very noticable rig. god bless the injured buddy. hope someone finds this guy
Old 12-05-2008, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987

frankly, the guy driving the "rescue rig" would have been beaten to a bloody pulp were that my group, and any friends he had would have ben "asleep" for a bit and waking up with a headache.

I'm not physical...until needs be.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

I'm very sorry for this other guy that got hurt.
But it certainly shows that our sport has many different ways that you can get hurt.

PM IllianaXJ on NAXJA. He is part of the group that runs Haspin Acres and he can use the heads-up on this asshat.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

you should have known he was trouble when you saw that pvc "rollbar" on his truck. thats why i never let anyone from another group pull me out.

hopefully that guy who got hurt will make a full recovery.

Quick Reply: be VERY careful who you let pull you out of a stuck situation