Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Cabin illumination upon entry issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Cabin illumination upon entry issue

New member here with my first Jeep, a 2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude.

I searched the forums first and saw many interior lighting, dimmer issues, etc. but not one describing my specific issue.

I know the dimmer just to the right of the headlight switch controls the brightness of instrument panel and switches when the headlights are on. Here's my issue.

The console/map lights and the rear seat lights do not come on when any of the doors or liftgate are opened. However, the 2 liftgate lights and the driver and passenger floor board lights at your feet come on. When doors are closed, those also fade and go out.

When I roll the dimmer switch all the way up, all interior lights are supposed to come on but they don't. Only the liftgate and floorboard lights come on. The console/map lights and rear seat lights do not come on. The only way to make the console/maps lights and rear seat lights come on is to press their respective manual button.

The dimmer works as designed in every other way. It will dim the instrument panel and all other areas properly. In fact, when the dimmer is rolled all the way down, the liftgate and floorboard lights will not come on when any door is open, as designed. It's the console/map and rear seat lights that are the issue. And I have read the owners manual and searches the inter web. No help.

I know the next step is probably taking it back to the dealer but with the holiday weekend and having family in town, that can't happen for several more days so I thought I would post here. Sorry for the long thread. Thanks for a
Old 05-27-2019, 12:47 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Being a 19 and still under warranty, take it back to the dealer. Get it fixed for free.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:09 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

I second Dave... they give you a 3-year/36k-mile Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty... it'll be fixed for free... don't go about trying to diagnose or fix it yourself, or you might void the aforementioned warranty, and/or further damage your Jeep.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I guess I wasn't clear with my post. I'm not trying to make a mechanical fix myself. I just thought maybe it was a configurable setting, switch or something. I guess it's not and yes, I will be taking it to the dealer to have it addressed.