Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Alarm sounding on 2001 Laredo upon key entry

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Alarm sounding on 2001 Laredo upon key entry

I Just bought a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7L v8. It did not come with a remote for keyless entry.

Last night I noticed that my lights were on. When I walked outside they turned off before I reached the Jeep, then turned on again. When I unlocked the door the alarm sounded until I started the engine. I left the doors unlocked and didn't have the issue again last night. Today it happened again in a parking lot after shopping. Any idea why this may be happening?

Also in the way of keyless entry, are there any recommendations which products to buy on this? Is the remote start option very hard to install?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by pawapre; 10-29-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

I found this on line: I hope it helps.

If you use the power door lock switch to lock the door it arms the security system. You will notice the red light flashing on top of the dash. To deactivate the system you can either manually unlock the door, close it, open it, and manually lock it. Or you can lock doors with power lock switch, close door, and then unlock and lock the door with your key. Sometimes I have to unlock and lock mine twice. But when the system disarms the red light will quit flashing. I believe you only have 15 seconds to do this.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thank you for that. I went out and tried it and the alarm does seem to go off if I unlock, re lock, and unlock the door again. Waiting for the red light to stop blinking all the while.

Any idea why my lights randomly come on? It is almost as if someone is locking the doors via remote and laughing at me from a distance. It seems to only last about 15 seconds like I was locking my doors and walking away. I just don't want it to drain my battery through the night if it happens too often.