Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Bunch of Questions In One Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.6L
Red face Bunch of Questions In One Thread

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and I'm also new to being a Jeep owner. I've had two chevy's and one hyundai in the past, and this Jeep marks my fourth car.

I just bought a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 V6 on Thursday (3 days ago) from a Toyota dealership. It was used at 52K miles and I bought it for a little under blue book value. I thought I was getting a deal until I did more research AFTER I came home with the Jeep and realized that I got such a BASIC standard model because it doesn't come with UConnect, Navigation, Touch Screen (only basic radio), no heated seats, no memory seat position, manual tilt steering wheel, etc.

So I've been doing a LOT of research over the past weekend and reading SOOO many forums and I'm still confused about some of my questions.

(1) I want to replace the radio and get a touch screen radio with navigation. Obviously aftermarket is cheaper since the OEM RHB 430N retails for $1,299.95. But, I read on some forums that getting an aftermarket messes up the Jeep computer and that it's advised against because of compatibility issues. So I started leaning towards the OEM dash but read some reviews that it's not worth buying because it "sucks." Furthermore, since my Jeep didn't even come with UConnect, I'd have to get separate wires for that? What I'm trying to figure out is, is it better for me to get an aftermarket, or is it worth investing in the OEM dash? I have the basic stock dash with no touchscreen and not even bluetooth for phone. I'll be driving across the U.S. (from California to Massachusetts) in May and need a navigation system that won't require me to keep my phone's navigation on. I've also considered Garmin/TomTom but thought it'd be best to invest in a navigation radio considering I often use apps such as Pandora.

(2) My AC is making this weird noise when I turn it on. I think it might be the blower motor or bearings? Should I take this back to the Toyota dealership since they reassured me everything had been replaced and inspected before they sold it to me? The engine filter was even dirty (just replaced it today) so I don't think they really replaced/inspected everything.

(3) When I plug in an aux cable from my phone to the radio, it makes this static noise if I MOVE the aux cable in any way. I thought it was the cable, so I went and bought a new one and the new one is doing the same thing. What could be causing this problem? Is this something I should bring up to the dealer about too?

(4) I want to replace the door speakers. I honestly don't think I'm experienced enough to take off my door panels since I once tried helping my sister and we cracked her door panel. I was thinking of just buying the speakers online itself and taking them to a stereo place to install. I'm just nervous about people ripping me off since one stereo place charged me almost $500 to put in a new radio a few years back when the radio itself was only $100. I read about "amps" and stuff, but will I need that for door speakers? For a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, I found online at SonicElectronix.com that I need 6x9 speakers AND 6-3/4 speakers AND tweeters? So do I need to buy any special wiring too since it didn't include that in the web results?

(5) I also want to repaint my chrome grill black and read all I have to do is remove it, sand it down, primer it twice, paint it black, apply clear coat, and done. Anyone have success doing it? I tried looking for a part online and it cost about $300 so I figured I could just do it myself.

(6) Also want to get the "blackened headlights." I don't want the film over the headlight itself, but I want to take it apart and paint the inside chrome part black, that's all. Is there places that will do this for me? Don't want to pay for new headlights either. Or is it worth it to pay for new headlights since you need a heat gun to take it apart?

Looking forward to hearing some feedback from the Jeep GC community. Thanks for reading and thanks ahead for responding!

-Kim H.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I can only advise you on 2 questions. (5), look at plastidip.com. It is a rubberized coating that is durable, sprayable, and easy to apply. If you decide later that you don't like it, it peels right off. Think about resale value.

(6), Check with Motor Vehicles in Massachusetts. Blacked out headlights may be illegal. They are in New York.

All your other issues IDK about or care about. Sorry. Having said that, welcome to CF!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2012
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by dave1123
I can only advise you on 2 questions. (5), look at plastidip.com. It is a rubberized coating that is durable, sprayable, and easy to apply. If you decide later that you don't like it, it peels right off. Think about resale value.

(6), Check with Motor Vehicles in Massachusetts. Blacked out headlights may be illegal. They are in New York.

All your other issues IDK about or care about. Sorry. Having said that, welcome to CF!
Okay, thanks for your response and feedback on the grill!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Contact your local car stereo installer about the stereo or call Crutchfield (I've had lots of luck with them.). Since you just bought the jeep did you get a warranty on it? If so take it back and have them look at the air.