Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Broken Door Lock

Old 04-12-2014, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Broken Door Lock

Hi I am new to the Forum.
I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7.
I had a some what problem door lock, I removed it and found a damaged spring, I was able to fix the spring, placed the lock back into the door and now I can not unlock the door, I must have reassembled the lock incorrectly.
Can any one help me unlock the door.

Door can not be opened.

Thanks

Nev1956
Old 04-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Here's what I know. You'll have to remove the inner door panel. To do that, it's best to remove the rear seat so you can access the panel clips. After you get the panel off, you'll have access to the lock itself. You can trip the lock with a screwdriver. You may have to drill a hole in the sheetmetal to get your screwdriver in the right place. Buy a new lock.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:52 AM

Smile

Thanks for your help.

I have solved the problem, this lock was totally seized up nothing would work
manually unlocking from inside the door panel would not work.
I had to drill four holes into the lock, so that i could release the lock mechanism.
Took me about two hours to release.

Once again

Many Thanks

Nev1956
Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

WOW! What a b****, huh?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:06 AM

No Problem
What has to be done must be done.
There was no short cuts for this one, The worst part is In Australia we get ripped off ever were we go.
It cost me $120.00 for a module and $90.00 for a actuator and both second hand.
Nothing is cheap over here.

Once again

Thank you for your help

Nev1956
Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 PM

Year: 01 Limited
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech
Default Driver door lock problem

You said you had a problem with a door lock and I wondered if you could help me solve my problem. I have power door locks on my 2001 Cherokee Limited. I replaced the power lock unit because the driver door lock did not work at all. After replacing the power lock unit I can now hear the unit "try" to work, but cannot lock or unlock the door from the inside. During replacement I found a spring inside the bottom o the door. The spring was about a quarter of an inch in diameter with a straight leg at one end. I could not determine what the other leg looked like because it was apparently broken off. My question is is this spring like the one you repaired and if so was it part of the key lock assembly? This information may help me figure out why me key lock does not feel "normal" and may be the reason my interior lock button does not operate. Please help.
Thank You
Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by mrbill
You said you had a problem with a door lock and I wondered if you could help me solve my problem. I have power door locks on my 2001 Cherokee Limited. I replaced the power lock unit because the driver door lock did not work at all. After replacing the power lock unit I can now hear the unit "try" to work, but cannot lock or unlock the door from the inside. During replacement I found a spring inside the bottom o the door. The spring was about a quarter of an inch in diameter with a straight leg at one end. I could not determine what the other leg looked like because it was apparently broken off. My question is is this spring like the one you repaired and if so was it part of the key lock assembly? This information may help me figure out why me key lock does not feel "normal" and may be the reason my interior lock button does not operate. Please help.
Thank You
Ditto -- I was thinking of replacing my rear door actuators since neither door unlocks using any of the electric switches...but I do HEAR them trying to engage. Does this mean it's not the actuator? Or do broken actuators make noise too?
Old 04-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Thumbs up

Firstly
Hi guys, The actuators/ Door locks do have springs in them, but I don't think they can just fall out unless the lock assembly has been disassembled.

Did you purchase a new actuator or second hand?
Make sure non of the leavers are obstructed.
To test remove the door panel and unclip the leavers, now test the actuator by using the switchers and the remotes, if the leaver on the actuator dose not move i would suspect the actuator, it may just be bad luck that the one you purchased may faulty.

Nev1956