Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Brake issues after caliper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Brake issues after caliper replacement

I just bought a 2000 Grand Cherokee it has ABS. I am pretty new to doing all of this myself just as a heads up I may have missed something obvious. I have tried searching this forum and other to no avail.

Basically what is happening, when I purchased this jeep the PO told me that it needed a wheel bearing and he had already bought it, well it turns out he was wrong. The lugs were loose and I found this out when the wheel fell off on the way home, yeah fun. So with the rotor landing on the rim and being damaged I spent a few hours on the side of the road replacing the wheel bearing and installing the old rotor (no choice). Brakes were working just fine. I ordered new rotors calipers and pads (lines looked good and if I was doing one I was doing them all!)

So onto the issue brakes 100% before I started, BRAKE light on, ABS light on (was on from the start) I install and bleed all 4 never let the MC go dry.Done the standard 2 man way get solid clean fluid. Pedal is nice and stiff. Then I turn on the key and boom pedal just about hits the floor brakes maybe the last 1/4 of the pedal if that.

I have vacuum bled the system like mad, Put two large bottles of fluid through the system, nothing but clean clear brake fluid and no air. This is sadly my daily driver now so any ideas (I'm broke as a joke ATM so cheap solutions would be most immediately helpful.) Thanks for any insight.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:11 AM

Just a thought from what happen to my buddy's 01 GC is he kept having this issue he had to take it to a shop that can plug into the brake system and he had to have them cycle it into bleeding the air front the pump. It's been so long since he's done it he can't remember how much it was.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:50 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

When my buddy the mechanic replaced my front calipers, he used a pressure bleeder that fits over the reservoir filler and uses a can full of brake fluid charged with a hand pump for air pressure. Your problem is probably air in the ABS pump.

Last edited by dave1123; 11-08-2016 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:21 AM

Thank you for the welcome! Will pressure bleeding aleiviate the air in the abs module? Do I need to pay a shop to cycle the ABS? Never done serious brake work on a vehicle with abs before that didn't just need a regular bleed proceedure. If I do need to have the ABS cycled any idea on cost? (tool or shop cost).

Thanks for the responses folks I'm in a bind with this one lol. I've already done more work to this thing than the car I got rid of for it ha ha! Atleast I'm learning something!
Old 11-08-2016, 04:33 PM

Yes jeeps are amazingly a good way to not have a drug addiction. So in some was she's saving ur life =D but no I can't remember how much just call around some brake shops and ask how much it is to cycle ur abs and they should be able to give u a price I would think no more than 80 honestlly.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:09 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

According to my FSM, The brake system must be conventionally bled, then the ABS system must be cycled with a DRB scan tool, then the system bled again. I also read the ABS solenoids act as a rear proportioning valve to delay full pressure to the rear brakes.

I never liked the feel of jeep's ABS braking system. I seems to me there's an awful lot of pedal movement before things start to happen, yet without power, the pedal is rock solid. Every GM vehicle I've owned, the brakes were firm and solid all the time with little pedal travel. Even Mopars before ABS got involved.

When I first bought my WJ, it had been sitting in the used car dealer's lot for a while and driving it home, it seemed to take a lot of pressure to stop it from speed. I tried to bleed the front brakes and no fluid came out, ie no pressure.

My mechanic had to open all 4 bleeder valves before he got fluid coming out the fronts. It's been fine ever since. IDK what happened, but having brakes you can't rely on makes me nervous.

I'd just as soon not have ABS, but trying to eliminate the system starts all kinds of weird stuff. I deliver newspapers so stopping with my window aligned with a mailbox is critical. When there's hard packed snow or ice, the ABS activates at less than 2 mph and I slide past it, making me back up! I've found slipping it into neutral lets me stop where I want to. Removing the fuses only cause other problems. I started getting truly weird messages on my VIC, like "memory seats deactivated, seat belt fastened." WTF? I don't have memory seats and the seat belt wasn't fastened!

SO, you're not alone with your brake problems.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:02 PM

Yeah, I need to call around and get some prices, worked a long shift today so didn't get a chance. Thank you for taking the time to look it up! I have a feeling I've got more work than I bargained for with this one. Always liked jeeps, little disappointed my first one was a lemon ha ha! I'll let you know what I find, thanks folks!
Old 11-20-2016, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

My abs has long since been disconnected and I've replaced the fluid a few times never a problem. Just fill the res and use a self bleeder at each wheel. Start with the wheel furthest from the master and work backwards, rear right, rear left, left front right front.
There have been issues with folks putting the calipers on upside down and not having the bleeder screw up top, that will cause bleeding problems for sure.