Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Cuts off randomly, dimmer switch ac and radio quit working.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cuts off randomly, dimmer switch ac and radio quit working.

I have a 2001 jeep cherokee larado 4.7 and not sure where to start. It cuts off automatically at random times moving and at idle. Then the other day my AC and radio quit working, then all a sudden worked again, then last night my headlights and interior lights quit working, I could still use my bright lights but only if i held the switch in the on position. Then after two hours of checking fuses and different things, they all a sudden started working again. I am starting to think it is all related but dont reallty know where to start in diagnosis. Ive looked at fixes to the issues separately, but when it is all intermediate and all started withing a month I feel like its related and all of the fixes will only "fix" one issue at a time. I cannot see that many things going bad at once for no reason.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with your logic. Coincidence DOES happen, but it's not the first assumption to make.

I suggest you start by checking your grounds, starting with the battery cable.

Secondly, you'll probably get better help by posting in the Grand Cherokee forum. This forum is for the XJ series.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:24 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you for your reply. Wiring is where I'm starting. If anyone can help me narrow down what wiring to start with I'd appreciate it
Old 11-20-2016, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

I had some random headlight issues that were 2 problems. First and foremost the main feed wire had burnt out about 10 inches from the switch. They would only work on HI when you pulled in on the multifunction switch. Second the headlight switch itself was worn, bad connections, I watched a utube on how to resolder it and that fixed a couple issues. Hope that helps. I should mention that the factory service manual was key in solving the first prob. It took several hours of troubleshooting to come up with the wire but it was worth it. You can dl a fsm for about $7.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:07 PM

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
I had some random headlight issues that were 2 problems. First and foremost the main feed wire had burnt out about 10 inches from the switch. They would only work on HI when you pulled in on the multifunction switch. Second the headlight switch itself was worn, bad connections, I watched a utube on how to resolder it and that fixed a couple issues. Hope that helps. I should mention that the factory service manual was key in solving the first prob. It took several hours of troubleshooting to come up with the wire but it was worth it. You can dl a fsm for about $7.
Thank you for your reply I'll check those things out.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Originally Posted by jeepbanger7
Thank you for your reply I'll check those things out.
I do recommend get your hands on a factory service manual. it takes about an hour of studying it to get the hang of the little flags they use and you will search multiple pages. Have a pen handy. But it will take you to all the right places and be absolutely right.