Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

back again, uughh

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 jeep grand cherokee laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6
Default back again, uughh

Uggghhhh back again, my 98 is giving me fits again. Starts fine runs fine untill it gets going for a while, then starts sputtering and dies, sometimes starts right back up sometimes won't for a few minutes. Had it looked at by a mobile mechanic and right away he wants to replace the computer. I'm not sure this is the problem, is it possible it could be the 02 censor? the catalytic converter has been rattling and I'm sure it has fallen apart, does not seem to be a whole lot of exhaust coming out the tailpipe even when gunning the engine, whatta ya think? Would the 02 censor cause the computer to shut off the fuel and the spark, as this is what it did while the mechanic was messing with it, first it seemed like a fuel issue and next no spark.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:23 PM

was crankshaft position sensor, was a bit tricky to get to but once replaced all good
Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Back again, been a while, here is my new problem, had not used 4 wheel drive in a while, snowing tonight and a bit icey, put it in part time 4 wheel , all good, stop at walmart decide to put it in full time 4 wheel, all good for a few miles then bang....bang....bang, pull over and take it out of 4 wheel to 2 wheel, same thing klunks and bangs, definetly from the front. What's the bad news, any ideas?
Old 01-09-2016, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Waitaminit. Is it snowing in Palm Coast, FL? I think something's broken. Are you able to clear the semi-engaged state by cycling between 2 and 4 wd, running forward and reverse to exercise it all back into operable condition. You should have a look around under your Jeep. Really though, your transfer case may need attention. Start by checking the oil level.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:44 PM

lol no not snowing in palm coast, I'm in Illinois, wish I was in palm coast. I will check everything tomorrow, to cold and snowy and dark right now. Just want to get some ideas on where to start looking. Another thing is it felt like it was right in front of me then move to the other side. Whatever it is it needs to be addressed right away. Thanks for your input appreciate it
Old 01-09-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

Thanks for the weather report. I also was concerned about the abundance of snow in the Palm Coast of Florida.

It sounds like the problem is associated w/ shifting the transfer case. That is the first place to start.

Each position should have a detent. If the linkage has gone bad then it might be part way between position.

The factory linkage deteriorates and requires periodic disassembly, cleaning, lubrication and bushing replacement.

Here is my linkage w/ new bushings, a new bearing, the seized adjustment broken free, a fresh paint job, lubed and installed.

Name:  Transfer%20Case%20Linkage%20Replaced.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  189.3 KB

This video shows shifting my transfer case after new bushings, new bearing, cleaning the cabin lever bearings and lubing the moving parts.

Shifting Transfer Case
Old 01-09-2016, 09:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01

That underbody is so clean.... My dinner plates are dirtier than that. Wow.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:09 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

Originally Posted by CR-Snow
That underbody is so clean.... My dinner plates are dirtier than that. Wow.
Thank you! If you have me over for dinner we'll do take out...

When I had the engine and transmission out for rebuild, I removed the rest of the stuff, cleaned it, sanded it and rolled on some Rustoleum.

Name:  Underbody%20Repainted.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  168.2 KB
Old 01-10-2016, 12:01 PM

Thanks wingless, will let you know what I find, but not today, to dam cold out frigg'n 12 degrees, wish I was in florida lol. appreciate the help,I'm not a mechanic but good with my hands and have done all the work to my cherokee that it's ever needed, and mostly from advice from this site and good solid advice from guys like you Thank ya
Old 01-10-2016, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by fngrpilot
lol no not snowing in palm coast, I'm in Illinois, wish I was in palm coast. I will check everything tomorrow, to cold and snowy and dark right now. Just want to get some ideas on where to start looking. Another thing is it felt like it was right in front of me then move to the other side. Whatever it is it needs to be addressed right away. Thanks for your input appreciate it

Was mislead by your profile/location, dude. Fix it up and you'll get better responses...
Old 01-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If your cat is rattling, the matrix may have collapsed and is plugging the exhaust. Pieces if that can move back and plug the muffler as well. Pull the muffler off and see if it runs better. You may find loose pieces in it. If you drove it from FL to IL, the high speed long trip may have caused the collapse.

Last edited by dave1123; 01-10-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:29 PM

10-4 location change, for now. Not liking this weather

Last edited by fngrpilot; 01-10-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:44 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You may have broken an axle u-joint. You can see them just behind the wheels. Part-time should only be used on slippery or loose surfaces. If your time on dry pavement was long enough, you may have overstressed a u-joint.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Holy eye candy, Andy.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:02 PM

Well checked all fluids and u-joints, all fluids good, u-joints ok, linkage rusty but not loose. lubricated linkage, and then drove it out the driveway, no change, so decided to reset the linkage. Watched a video on U-tube, the guy loosened the bolt from the shifter then moved the arm on transfer case to 4 low and tightened the bolt on shifter, tried this and now will not go into gear in 2 wheel just grinds so I set it back to where it was and still just grinds, move it into 4 part time or full time stays there untill I move and starts grinding. What do I need to do to set it right.

Quick Reply: back again, uughh