Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Any problems driving with a dead steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Any problems driving with a dead steering pump?

As expected, mine finally died. Not sure what's wrong with it - started making noses about 2 weeks ago, leaked a few days later, and finally started leaking quickly enough today to empty it and start smoking.

I still haven't decided on a replacement option yet, and honestly enjoy driving without, although I suspect that will wear off in a few days.

In the meantime, am I going to break anything else by driving around like this?

96 ZJ 4.0, no SPS
Old 05-24-2018, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

It puts more stress on your steering shaft, but I haven't heard of anyone breaking one.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:24 PM

That's about what I figured. I'll just take it easy on the low speed turns. I don't think there's any way I'll break the shaft, it still turns easier than the couple vehicles I've had that weren't designed with power steering in the first place.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.7

I was never a fan of power steering. I like being able to feel the road when I drive and make turns. If it was an option not to have in a newer vehicle. I would not get it.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:25 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I think you'll find the gear ratio in a manual steering gear is much lower than in a power steering gear, in other words more turns lock-to-lock. Once the resistance of the fluid is gone, you shouldn't have much problem with driving it anyway.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by blueseasons
I was never a fan of power steering. I like being able to feel the road when I drive and make turns. If it was an option not to have in a newer vehicle. I would not get it.

Every non power steering car/pick up I've driven handled like a tank when trying to turn.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:05 PM

Pulley fell off while driving yesterday! Not too surprising. Was just commuting though, so not far from home. Two cool-down stops and sitting off the engine on downhill slopes got me back without too much trouble.
Guess I have to replace the pump now. Will probably just get some cheap remanufactured one till I figure out what I want to do. I don't think there is any good way to bypass it.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.7

rgr4475- Not bragging but I grew up owning cars before they had power steering. Steering wheels were much bigger and if you kept the millions of zerts well greased it was never a problem steering them, although it is much easier with power in comparison. You can't miss something you never had. I like feeling the road. Every nub, crack, and pebble. Making the change for me was tough. I didn't like the floating feeling. For me driving involves senses.I find the dead silence of new vehicles stifling. In the old days, I could judge my speed by hearing the outside noise and feeling the road. It's easier on the ice, and wet roads to control my vehicle when you can hear and feel whats going on. I prefer stick shifts to automatic transmissions, even in traffic and on hills and manual locking hubs. Just one of those things I guess. Oh. Buy the way. I was born and spent 18 years in N.J. so at least we have that in common.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by blueseasons
rgr4475- Not bragging but I grew up owning cars before they had power steering. Steering wheels were much bigger and if you kept the millions of zerts well greased it was never a problem steering them, although it is much easier with power in comparison. You can't miss something you never had. I like feeling the road. Every nub, crack, and pebble. Making the change for me was tough. I didn't like the floating feeling. For me driving involves senses.I find the dead silence of new vehicles stifling. In the old days, I could judge my speed by hearing the outside noise and feeling the road. It's easier on the ice, and wet roads to control my vehicle when you can hear and feel whats going on. I prefer stick shifts to automatic transmissions, even in traffic and on hills and manual locking hubs. Just one of those things I guess. Oh. Buy the way. I was born and spent 18 years in N.J. so at least we have that in common.

Makes sense. I'm a little bias against vehicles with no power steering because when I was younger, I worked for a guy plowing snow. He had a mid 70's Dodge Power Wagon pick up that he got in a military auction. No power steering. So I would be plowing close to 24 hrs straight with no power steering and wanted to set that thing on fire each and every time! Haha.

I am now a stuntman and do quite a bit of stunt driving. We have some period shows up here in NY and I've driven quite a few older cars without power steering. Nothing crazy but yeah I can understand what you mean and they aren't nearly as bad as that damn Power Wagon!