Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Another topic for tranny problems....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Another topic for tranny problems....

Yesterday my tranny started slipping in my 93 ZJ. With it fully warmed up and driven, I checked the fluid in Neutral and was low. Didn't smell burnt, but also didn't look very red... So I topped it off with some Dex3/Mer and took it for another spin and the tranny stopped slipping. This morning I back out of the driveway, drive it a few blocks from my house and Its slipping like crazy! I get to where I was going and had no reverse and no neutral!! Park still holds the vehicle, reverse is more like Neutral, N,D,2,1 are all Drive!

PLEASE TELL ME it might just be a linkage!!! I've had this tranny rebuilt already and only put about 30k on it. I'm in no position right now to be dumping another $2000 into this thing for a second tranny rebuild!

Was I wrong to use dex3?
Could something be screwed up from it sitting for the past 3 years?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM

****! This is going to sound stupid... but I really always thought that my 93 ZJ had an AW4... Turns out I run a 46RH.... Did not know that! It calls for ATF+4. It was barely drivin with the Dex3 I put in. BUT with travel of just less then a mile with 1qt of Dex3 added, how much damage could I have done?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 ho

There are tons and tons of topics about wich fluid to use in them. I rebuilt my 46rh myself cost me 200 bucks I put dex 3 and have had no problems.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:06 PM

Well... my mechanic said the tranny is pretty much toast. The dip stick is full of metal and other crap, looks like I completely screwed up! Its slipping like crazy, sometimes it doesn't slip at all... seems like after I make a right turn it slips but grabs just fine after a left, No reverse what so ever.... this is just great!!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM

Transtar industries the rebuild kit is $106 rebuild it yourself the only thing is take the overdrive section to the shop it has a spring in it that takes a special tool. Pm me I will send you a link for the manual.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

pretty common. ran low on fluid and the direct cluthces welded themselves together. This is not something you really want to do yourself. First of all the direct clutches are applied by a spring that when assembled is about 600FTLBS. if the clutches are fused, this will not come apart and you will end up needing an O/D section.
By the time you pay a shop to do the O/D section you could have just pulled it and brought the whole unit to be rebuilt. especially when you rebuild it and it doesnt work right
Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 AM

Yes the spring in the OD sucks. You must have a good press.
I used a pc of 3" pvc and a press to put the OD back together. It looks way more intimidating than it really is.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:57 PM

I decided to go with a salvaged tranny. I picked one up from another ZJ with only 94k on it and for the most part it shifts great no slipping, and my ZJ even seems to have MUCH better get up and go off the line BUT... I still have a few more adjustments to work out. I somehow damaged the cable connection from the throttle body so its not shifting at the proper time or down shifting when I floor it, no big deal tho, I can easily replace that. But one thing I noticed that I really don't think should happen...

Since The throttle cable isn't connected, if I really need to I shift it manually. From 1 to 2 everything is perfect, BUT when I shift from 2nd to drive it comes out of gear for a few seconds and then grabs and I don't mean like it just slipped. If I put it in drive, it will cycle through all gears just fine.

Last but not least, SOMETIMES it wont start in park only neutral... I'm wondering if the linkage is off slightly... hmm, if it wasn't mothers day right now I'd go out and check!!

Any thoughts?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: V8

Yes the linkage needs to be adjusted. Yes it will make a difference in the shift and the starting of the engine. Get it worked out and then see what it does.

Ron
Old 05-28-2011, 02:39 PM

I was just looking tough some of my old posts and figured it put in a follow up. Linkages and throttle cable adjusted. Tranny is better then the rebuilt one I had in the first place!!! After the next 200 miles I put on it I did my own tranny service....

Dropped the pan, made a big mess, changed the filter, cleaned the magnet and mess, wiped out the pan, PUT A DRAIN PLUG ON THE PAN, bolted it back up after finally getting all of the stock Calk gasket off... about 600 miles later, its better then ever!