Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default AC issue

Hello,

My Jeep 4.7 is throwing so so cold air from the 2 front left panels but just hot normal air from right ones and back vents. Do I just need an ac fillup? Did one 4 years ago.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

I am not the "pro" on AC, but it sounds like your "blend doors" or "actuators" have failed. There should be many write ups and other posts on the topic, if you take a minute to look.

Also the most amazing piece of information ever written for your Jeep, www.pacificcoastmanuals.com

$8 for more pages of factory system manuals than you would ever care to read in your life. Download direct from there website in less than 5 min. I have it on my PC and my Phone.

Goodluck, and Im sure someone else will pipe up, but do some searching first.

P.S.
Or you could do like me and delete it. ��
Old 07-24-2016, 02:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah sounds like the blend doors are not working,To fix it you gotta pull the whole dash out its a huge job.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:00 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You dont always have to pull the whole dash but often times you do. The blend doors themselves begin to warp and create resistance and sometimes stick often causing the actuators to fail. The best way to check this is to pull the actuator off(some of the actuators can be removed with out pulling the box but there are some that can only be reached by pulling the HVAC box) and once the actuator is off try and move the door manually to see if it is binding.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:02 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Actually, the blend door actuators are electric stepper motors and will shear off the plastic shafts of the blend doors. The dual zone heater has 2, the one on the front is for the driver's side, and the one in the rear (that you can't get to) is for the passenger's side. In order to get to the rear one, you have to remove the whole unit from the car. Excellent design by idiots. The blend doors are what controls the temperature by "blending" heated or chilled air with outside air. The Mode switch is vacuum operated and sends air to the various ducts and the fan switch is electrical. On the automatic climate control, all this is done by a module. You set the temp and the module decides what to do.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-24-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:52 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

i actually have a question I just bought my self the 96 5.2 and the ac is sorta cold i plan on recharging it but it also blows very weak and i looked at the compressor and when the ac is engaged it seems to engage for 2 seconds then disengage and just reputes that is it supposed to do that or does that mean i need a new compressor clutch...
Old 07-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Old fart with a wrench

No, I think it just needs a recharge. My wife's Caravan did the same thing. She had it pumped down, oil added, and recharged.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

Originally Posted by bradley442
i actually have a question I just bought my self the 96 5.2 and the ac is sorta cold i plan on recharging it but it also blows very weak and i looked at the compressor and when the ac is engaged it seems to engage for 2 seconds then disengage and just reputes that is it supposed to do that or does that mean i need a new compressor clutch...
It wasnt a Jeep, but I had another vehicle with the same issues, and a full recharge/exchange, @ a shop, fixed it. So try a cheap DIY recharge, and if not maybe try the exchange before replacing the compressor.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by bradley442
This is referred to as Short Cycling and 99% of the time it indicates that the system is low on charge. Be sure to have them add UV dye to the system or to use an oil that already has a UV tracer in it. This makes finding a slow leak a little easier.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Actually, the blend door actuators are electric stepper motors and will shear off the plastic shafts of the blend doors. The dual zone heater has 2, the one on the front is for the driver's side, and the one in the rear (that you can't get to) is for the passenger's side. In order to get to the rear one, you have to remove the whole unit from the car. Excellent design by idiots. The blend doors are what controls the temperature by "blending" heated or chilled air with outside air. The Mode switch is vacuum operated and sends air to the various ducts and the fan switch is electrical. On the automatic climate control, all this is done by a module. You set the temp and the module decides what to do.
So like dude, do you think I just need a recharge, because I think the same thing was happening 4-5 years ago and I did a recharge.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Easywolf32
So like dude, do you think I just need a recharge, because I think the same thing was happening 4-5 years ago and I did a recharge.
you can start with that, but since it's blowing cold out of one side i'm guessing the system is probably ok. I'm fairly confident that you likely have a bad blend door and/or actuator. I know there is a way to put some of the automatic climate controls into a test mode and pull faults from the face of the climate head, but I can't come across the write up.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Okay! Here we go with the AZC selftest. Press and hold the A/c and Recirc buttons and turn the left temp control one detent CW. Still holding the buttons, the display will light up all the segments. Release the buttons and the display will go dark for a moment, then list any codes for one second each in sequence. If there are no codes set, a "0" will appear. The codes will continue to be repeated until you turn the left temp control one detent CW or turn off the ignition.

This info I got from the FSM I downloaded from pacificcoastmanuals.com for $7.99. Check it out. All the codes are listed in the Manual.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-02-2016 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-28-2016, 06:28 AM

it was early I didn't have time to pull out the manual. But I was confident there was someone on here who has done it enough to know what it takes
Old 07-28-2016, 05:44 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Hey! I've never done it before. I was just quoting the manual! I'm lazy and just brought up the pdf file on my computer while sitting here! My WJ doesn't have the automatic climate control.

BTW, it looks like if you printed out that entire manual, you'd need a ream of paper and an ink cartridge change!

Last edited by dave1123; 07-28-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Hey! I've never done it before. I was just quoting the manual! I'm lazy and just brought up the pdf file on my computer while sitting here! My WJ doesn't have the automatic climate control.

BTW, it looks like if you printed out that entire manual, you'd need a ream of paper and an ink cartridge change!
You should see some of the procedures out there for programming keys and key fobs on other Makes. I think the longest procedure i've had to print was 4 full pages. Turn key on. press door lock once, turn key off. open and close door 4 times. turn key on. and on and on etc etc,

Quick Reply: AC issue