Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

97 zj no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 97 zj no start

Hey guys haven't been on here in a while but i need some help. Yesterday i was at school and went to leave when my jeep wouldn't start,i turned the key and got nothing not even a click,i then popped the hood and got tools out.i cleaned and checked the batt connections and for loose cables and checked the juice on the battery and it was good then got really frustrated and jumped the starter with the key on and drove home. I changed the starter relay and it sill didn't start and obviously my starter is good because it cranks over so i am at a loss any ideas will help?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Check that you are getting power to the starter relay. Pin 30 should have constant power. 87 goes to the starter solenoid. 86 gets power when you turn the key to start. 85 goes to ground.

86 will get power for a few seconds when you turn the key to start then go off. When the engine cranks the PCM will turn it back on.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

wait if im reading this correct, at school you turned the key over and NOTHING at all. then you started it with a screwdriver? then when you got home it just spins over and no start???? those are 2 completely different routes of problems to start looking
Old 11-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
wait if im reading this correct, at school you turned the key over and NOTHING at all. then you started it with a screwdriver? then when you got home it just spins over and no start???? those are 2 completely different routes of problems to start looking

I believe you may have misinterpreted his last sentence. I took it to mean that the starter works because he was able to jump it and it worked. Not that he turned the key and it cranked.

I forgot, in my last post, to add that it could be the NSS. The NSS provides a path to ground with the transmission in Park or Neutral. If this path to ground is not made you get nothing when you turn the key to start. Pin 85 goes thru the NSS to ground.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ET JEEP
I believe you may have misinterpreted his last sentence. I took it to mean that the starter works because he was able to jump it and it worked. Not that he turned the key and it cranked.

I forgot, in my last post, to add that it could be the NSS. The NSS provides a path to ground with the transmission in Park or Neutral. If this path to ground is not made you get nothing when you turn the key to start. Pin 85 goes thru the NSS to ground.

if thats the case id point at the starter...... (**** losing what i wanna say) the top part of the starter that engaged the gear to start. if you can start it with a screwdriver. 9 out of 10 times ive been able to do that ive swapped starters and its been perfect....

id suggest finding someone locally that has a good starter and see if they will let you swap starters to test it out. or pull yours and run to autozone/advance and get them to test it.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Seasoned Member

sorry for the misunderstanding while i was at school i got nothing when i turned the key so i turned the key to run and jumped the starter with a screw driver...i replaced the starter solonoid and it still dosent crank unless i jump the starter. I hope everyone is having a good thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Seasoned Member

i put it into neutral and still got nothing
Old 11-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Seasoned Member

You are going to have to do some electrical troubleshooting. I don't believe you have a starter problem as you can jump it and it will crank the engine. What I believe is happening is you are not getting electrical power to the starter solenoid.

Do the following using caution as the engine may or will crank over.

Run a wire from battery positive to the starter solenoid and touch the solenoid terminal. The starter should engage and crank the engine. Leave the key off. The engine should crank but not start. You are just verifying that the solenoid/starter is good.

If you do get a good engine crank, then the problem is electrical in the starting circuit. Checking the relay as I pointed out would be the next step. When you turn the key to start, electrical power goes from the ignition switch to pin 86 to pin 85 thru the NSS to ground. This activates the starter relay. With the starter relay activated, pin 30 connects to pin 87 which sends electrical power to the starter solenoid terminal to engage the starter.

Another test you can do is check for electrical power at the starter solenoid terminal wire. You will need a helper. Disconnect the solenoid wire, have the helper hold the key to start. Check for electrical voltage at the solenoid wire. You should have battery voltage at the wire with the key held to start.

If no electrical power then you have an electrical issue. Ignition switch, wiring, NSS, fuse. It is probably not the relay as you indicate you changed it.

Last edited by ET JEEP; 11-24-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:17 PM

also take a look at your lock cylinder, there are only a few things that will stop you from cranking, lack of volts, lock cylinder, blown fuse, inop starter, or bad grounds/connections. as far as i know thats the extent of your issues,

if it just started randomly out of no where, i would take a test light and with your key on, you should have juice at all your fuses, replace and blown fuses and go from there (issue i had and found out after testing all fuses i found a blown one)
Old 11-24-2011, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by rickybarth
i put it into neutral and still got nothing
That doesn't eliminate the NSS as the problem. Once they get bad enough even the trick of starting in neutral doesn't work. Jumping the starter leads me to suspect the NSS as that completes the starter ground circuit. You can bypass the NSS by looping the 2 black wires together which completes the ground and confirm that's the problem.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Check that you are getting power to the starter relay. Pin 30 should have constant power. 87 goes to the starter solenoid. 86 gets power when you turn the key to start. 85 goes to ground.

86 will get power for a few seconds when you turn the key to start then go off. When the engine cranks the PCM will turn it back on.
well I found out that 86tonight dosebt have any power to it

the comouter is also throwing check engine code 45

Last edited by rickybarth; 11-25-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Did you get voltage at pin 30?

Sometimes these relays get wired backwards. Power to pin 85 instead of 86. Just to be sure do the power check on pin 85 and see what you get. Also do a continuity test to ground on pin 85. It should have continuity to ground with the transmission in park or neutral.

If you do have power on pin 30 that means the fuse is good. So the problem you are looking at is the wire (red/wht) from the fuse to the ignition switch pin 7, the ignition switch, or the wire from the ignition switch to the relay pin 86, yel coming out of the switch to a connector then yel/red going the the relay.

Code 45 indicates a problem in the overdrive solenoid circuit.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Seasoned Member

ok after diagnosing i determined that its the nss and i am going to replace it tommorw,is there and tips or tricks i should know before i change it.