Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

95 ZJ - looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7l
Default 95 ZJ - looking for opinions

Greetings,

My first time here and into the world of Jeeps for that matter. I've been looking at getting Grand Cherokee and have come up with a couple of questions, so where better to get answers then from you folks.

I've found a 1995 GC Laredo with 5.2L V8 and 120k miles locally. It's listed at about $6K. I'm wondering if that is steep for one this old, but it does have a lot of mods done to it.

The mods are:

Rubicon Express 4 ½ Super-Flex Lift Kit
2” Poly Budget Boost
JKS Front and Rear Adjustable Track Bars
JKS Quicker Adjustable Swaybar Disconnects
ProComp MX6 6-way Adjustable Shocks
Skyjacker 6” Drop Pitman Arm
KOR Heavy Duty Steering Brace
KOR Tow Points and Radiator Support
Rear Sway Bar Extensions
1” Transfer Case Drop Kit
Extended SS Front Brake Lines
Transfercase Skid Plate
Gas Tank Skid Plate
ARB Front Bumper
33 x12.5 x 15 Interco TrXus Mud Terrain Tires with Full-Size Spare
American Racing Black Steel Wheels
Extra Capacity 23 Gallon Fuel Tank
Double-Cardin Front Driveshaft

My thought is the upgrades may warrant the price.

I'm going to go look at is this weekend. In general are there certain items I should be paying attention to when I look it over. A grease monkey I am not.

Thanks for any help you can give,

</SPAN>
Old 05-18-2012, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. Lifted vehicles don't warrant a higher price, as their seller wants you to think. You never get out of one what you put into it. Also they tend to have been driven hard, and sold for a reason. I'd look for a stock vehicle at a lower price. You should be able to find a nice one for a lot less.
Then you can do the mods yourself.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Welcome to CF. Lifted vehicles don't warrant a higher price, as their seller wants you to think. You never get out of one what you put into it. Also they tend to have been driven hard, and sold for a reason. I'd look for a stock vehicle at a lower price. You should be able to find a nice one for a lot less.
Then you can do the mods yourself.

X2

The first, and most important option you should think about is that you should be shopping for an XJ....leave the ZJ alone.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

X2.5 a ZJ is a good choice, but look into buying a stock one.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 PM

I had originally started looking at stock but came across this one with low miles for that year so it caught my attention. I get what you mean about someone fixing it up like that and then probably had a reason to sell it.

I wouldn't mind an XJ but part of my "compromise" to get a off road vehicle is it has to hold the family (wife, 2x kids and 2x dogs). The ZJ seems to have a bigger cargo area.

Other option is a 4Runner, but the mileage on those around here seem crazy high.

I really appreciate the advice,
Old 05-19-2012, 03:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

another thing...how much time before you 'have to' have it?

I had a 95 grand cherokee and it got totalled. Waited a year til I found one to replace it that I liked.

These are things *I* noticed when looking at many many GCs out here. "regular" cherokees are hard to find out here that havent been the kids car and totally trashed.

Replacement was a '93 with PERFECT leather seats--I'm guessing they were replaced at some point. Most 93-97s I saw the leather was trashed.

Also...replaced the real gate struts which were dead, $17 for both, 2 for 1 sale on amazon.com Keep in mind they MUST be specific for those era cherokees since they have tabs that do no match on the left right side--so you have to order one left, one right. The ones that auto parts stores have that say their fit...dont.

Also I found that most of them 96 on when they had ability to open the glass in back had blown struts for those...

If you find a red or green one from 93-98 that does NOT have trashed paint, its probably been babied.
23 gallons might be a legit "high capacity" tank..but the normal tank is 22 gallons...

The "pearl forest green" paint was fried on the body panels and a couple spots on the roof and hood... the paint from the autostore was a very very very good match... you can't tell there was sunburnt paint in those spots...

Most GCs seem to have full size spares... and TC skid plates...and gas tank skid plates

Lots of grandpas seem to have this car around here...so they probably never went off road more than a few hundred feet to a boat dock or something... Id look for that over some fixed up rig that someone has probably hammered. Same reason I'd never buy some riced up Honda/Acura...no matter how little or much it was fixed up. Even if all they did was put a K&N and racing seats...it was probably redlined 100,000 times and beat to sh--.

GCs are more capable than most people want to admit...

I got mine for $1,800 with 149K miles and the usual stupid VIC problems (false coolant sensor bad warning)

here's the listings in my area:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/c...inAsk=&maxAsk=
Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 AM

One last thing to think about.
4-1/2" lift plus 2"BB on short arms = worst possible ride, especially with wife, kids, dogs, etc. Those are some crazy control arm angles. There is a reason that after 4.5" all the available kits go to long arms. Plus even with Rubicons super-flex arms you're going to get mechanical interference between the arms and the mounts before you get to maximum droop.
Also with a 6" drop pitman arm you're likely to get a lot of bump-steer from the difference in angles between the track-bar and steering.
My advice would be to keep looking. Buy one that has never seen dirt before and set it up the way you want.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:27 AM

Year: 1997 limited
Engine: 318 v8

i love grandcherokees good luck on your search
Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Again, thanks for the advice. The search will continue. I'm in no real hurry if I through logic into my thought process.

Basegrinder -- You've peaked my interest as to why the red or green 93-98 could mean it's babied?

Glad I finally joined the forums rather than stalking.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by JoseyW
Again, thanks for the advice. The search will continue. I'm in no real hurry if I through logic into my thought process.

Basegrinder -- You've peaked my interest as to why the red or green 93-98 could mean it's babied?

Glad I finally joined the forums rather than stalking.
Oh...just because ANY car... red or green paint is the worst for long term survival.... Especially red. (there aren't that meany red cherokees anyway, but lots of green)

Next time you drive around you'll see...the older red or green cars (red for japanese, green for US cars, especially mini vans) have paint that really sucks and is worn out...

So if see an older car that has good green/red paint...usually it's been garaged and waxed and better taken care of...

of course I'm just related what I saw during my search both looking at prices and actually hands on tests...around the San Fran area where people aren't doing much brawling (soccer moms all over) and weather isn't crazy

Same as anything else, people remember what they paid 5/10/15 years ago...like it matters.

Some guy was selling a black 96 GC...a few paint issues (burned out) and... dead rear window glass struts, dead rear door struts, chewed up leather seats, very hard shift to 2nd gear, and wouldn't go into 4 low at all.... still wanted $3,600 which is double what I paid for 93.

If you have time...wait for one with good leather seats...they are out there.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:38 PM
pwb

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Az Survivor
X2

The first, and most important option you should think about is that you should be shopping for an XJ....leave the ZJ alone.
Why? What cant the ZJ do that the XJ can? Isnt ZJ a XJ with comfort?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 PM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by pwb
Why? What cant the ZJ do that the XJ can? Isnt ZJ a XJ with comfort?
Twice as much to go wrong...a lot more electrical. I've owned 3 zj's and this is my first xj....its been a breeze compared.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 5.2 V8

6k sounds rediculous to me, for a ZJ thats 17 years old
Old 05-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by basegrinder
Oh...just because ANY car... red or green paint is the worst for long term survival.... Especially red. (there aren't that meany red cherokees anyway, but lots of green)

Next time you drive around you'll see...the older red or green cars (red for japanese, green for US cars, especially mini vans) have paint that really sucks and is worn out...

So if see an older car that has good green/red paint...usually it's been garaged and waxed and better taken care of...

of course I'm just related what I saw during my search both looking at prices and actually hands on tests...around the San Fran area where people aren't doing much brawling (soccer moms all over) and weather isn't crazy

Same as anything else, people remember what they paid 5/10/15 years ago...like it matters.

Some guy was selling a black 96 GC...a few paint issues (burned out) and... dead rear window glass struts, dead rear door struts, chewed up leather seats, very hard shift to 2nd gear, and wouldn't go into 4 low at all.... still wanted $3,600 which is double what I paid for 93.

If you have time...wait for one with good leather seats...they are out there.
Basegrinder -

Here's another data point for you. I came across a 98 Red GC. It looked showroom quality from the pictures. They said it was always garaged, detailed and keep perfect maintenance records.

146K and never been off a gravel road. Will have to go take a look.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 AM

and on the other end of the spectrum...the mechanically solid but looks like sh-- one... saw one that was painted with flat black primer head to toe, badges included.... actually looked pretty badass