Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6
Default 3 point harness opinions wanted

My 6 year old daughter announced to me the other day that she doesn't like riding in the heap because it is too bouncy and flings her around too much. She sits up in a booster seat, so with the standard shoulder strap, it makes sense to me. We tried out a friend's rig with a 4 point harness in the front passenger, and she said if she could be strapped in like that, she would have a lot more fun. Since the entire reason I've built the rig is for us to be able to go play together as a family, I am now in the market for a harness for at least her, and possibly the other rear passenger seat for my son (8, still in a booster seat, but he doesn't complain about getting flung around).

I've narrowed down the options to a 2" 3 point v-style harness, this way I can bolt into the OEM seat belt points, and then run the rear point to the roll cage. I am looking at an UNPADDED harness, as I think the padded ones will actually have the padding in the wrong places for someone so small, so I would rather get an unpadded and pad it out myself.

This will also ONLY be for offroad use. I will get longer bolts for the OEM seat belt points and use the shoulder/lap belt for road use. Oh, and I have a ZJ rear-seat back, so the harness will worth with the headrests.

ALL that being said - 2 questions -

1) What harnesses have you used and how did you like them? I'm thinking of the Sparco 3 point, anyone used it?

2) My cage is internal and runs the A/B/C pillars. The C pillars stand up behind the rear passenger seats and has a diagonal support running between them. Since this will be intended SOLELY for off-road use (i.e. very slow use) could I wrap the rear point around the VERTICAL post, or do I need to add a horizontal bar to attach to? (I would prefer to AVOID this if I can, because, as she grows, I will then have to move this up over and over! If I can attach to the vertical, then I have built in adjustability as she grows )

Any thoughts/opinions would appreciated.

Thanks-
Old 09-21-2015, 12:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

You can run these https://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/rallye/rallye-4 they are dot approved so street legal.The only harness brand i have used was simpson but that was in a drag car tho.And how to install them safely https://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/...structions.pdf

Last edited by andrewmp6; 09-21-2015 at 01:00 AM.