Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

94 GC Inline 6 - Fuel/cool/cold weather issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L MFI 6cyl
Default 94 GC Inline 6 - Fuel/cool/cold weather issue

The last month or so I've been having issues with the fuel pump (I think). When ever the temp outside gets to 50 degrees or below the Jeep will not start right away.

As I turn the key I DO NOT hear the fuel pump kick on. It takes a few tries and then I hear it turn on and clicking noises near the area of the Computer. I checked the relay and it seems to be ok. Changed the fuel filter and all of the ignition system has been replaced (other issues dealing with the crankshaft sensor)

In nice weather, the jeep starts before I even let off the key and runs smooth. When I get it started in cold weather. I have no issues starting it again after it warms up.

My guess is the fuel pump may be going out or moister somewhere. Any help would be great.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

This may help or cause you to do a lot of searching. Over the years, I've found that sometimes the female parts of connectors tend to loosen up or deform and lose their grip on the male portions of the connector pins, especially in high amperage circuits. This only happens once in a while, but today they are using thinner metal in the plugs and this has become more prevalent. I've noticed GM always used round male pins, but I've noticed Mopar uses square pins and this might have something to do with it.

I have a problem with my left turn signal and only the left one. I've replaced the switch and that hasn't helped. I'm going to have to disconnect the plug and tweak the connectors to see if this is the problem. It only does it where it's cold. I can turn on the left signal and then turn on the hazard flashers, then turn them off as soon as they light up, then the left signal will continue to work until the jeep cools down again. This gets confusing to other traffic if I'm sitting in the middle of an intersection trying to make a left turn. AND it's getting worse!

I'd say start with the plug on your fuel pump.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
This may help or cause you to do a lot of searching. Over the years, I've found that sometimes the female parts of connectors tend to loosen up or deform and lose their grip on the male portions of the connector pins, especially in high amperage circuits. This only happens once in a while, but today they are using thinner metal in the plugs and this has become more prevalent. I've noticed GM always used round male pins, but I've noticed Mopar uses square pins and this might have something to do with it.

I have a problem with my left turn signal and only the left one. I've replaced the switch and that hasn't helped. I'm going to have to disconnect the plug and tweak the connectors to see if this is the problem. It only does it where it's cold. I can turn on the left signal and then turn on the hazard flashers, then turn them off as soon as they light up, then the left signal will continue to work until the jeep cools down again. This gets confusing to other traffic if I'm sitting in the middle of an intersection trying to make a left turn. AND it's getting worse!

I'd say start with the plug on your fuel pump.
I'm to pick up a new relay switch in the morning after work. I swapped relays, but that was only after I already got it started =/ I honestly didn't even think of the plug on the fuel pump. Luckily I got my 40 hours back at work and can afford a new fuel pump if worse comes to worse. I'll give it a shot, Thanks Dave
Old 10-29-2015, 04:17 AM

(Update)

I was searching google for the Neutral safety switch and happened upon this thread https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/fue...-4-0-a-181935/

I am having identical issues. Before I leave from work. I am going to see if allowing the caps to warm up allows the Jeep to start normally. I have all the stuff to fix the ECM if it ends up being bad caps. Wouldn't that be nice!