Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi Stalling problem. no codes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi Stalling problem. no codes!

Hey guys,

I bought a 2005 Grand Cherokee with 93k miles, it has the 5.7L Hemi. it ran great for the first week or so we had it, then it started stalling, that's been about a month ago.

It will die at an idle, and immediately restart, it will die driving down the road, and most of the times if were over 15 MPH it will bumpstart itself and keep going, only notice is the jarring feeling of the die/bumpstart and a ding from the dash, no recorded codes. I've watched the live data on my OBD2 reader and the only noticeable thing I can take from it is the engine run time clock resets, so the ECM appears to know that the engine shut off and restarted.

I can post a video on YouTube if that helps. the only thing I took from the video was that the oil pressure light comes on approx 1/4 second before the check engine light, then with both of those on the RPM's begin to fall, then the oil pressure light went back out for about 1 1/2 seconds while the car comes to a stop and then all the lights come on like you would have with the key on and the engine not running.

in the last week twice I have heard a "ding" and the dash said check gauges, and my coolant temp was pegged at 0. the first time I pulled over, verified the coolant lines were full and nothing was leaking, and got back in and restarted it and coolant temp came right back up. the second time I simply pulled over and shut the car off, restarted it, and away I went.

My theory at this point:

something is wrong with my ECM. it is losing gauges for some reason and not throwing codes accordingly. the engine oil gauge losing signal must be causing the engine to shut down, which resets whatever is causing it to lose signal, so it immediately sees oil pressure again and bumpstarts, or we place it in neutral while rolling and restart it if we're at a low speed. the temperature sensor on the other hand is requiring me to restart the car to remedy/reset it.

What I've replaced so far:

EGR Valve.
Crank Position Sensor
Cleaned the throttle body
replaced missing sheathing on the harness going down the passenger side of the engine.
oil pressure sensor
ignition switch
topped off transmission fluid
oil/filter change

besides O2 sensors, this is about everything that different forums reported having troubles with. the temp sensor thing is so new it led me in that direction.... any of have any ideas? I'd rather not throw the money at the ECM if someone can't bump me that way, also, will losing oil pressure sensor cause the car to shut off?

Thanks!

Davin

Last edited by Davinjw; 12-28-2018 at 10:16 AM.