Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

^^^^2003 Jeep GC 4.0L AC Issues^^^^

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default ^^^^2003 Jeep GC 4.0L AC Issues^^^^

Good Day Boys. I am new to this forum and would like to put an issue I have experienced today with my 2003 Grand Cherokee out there for the experts. So, I just purchased this Grand Cherokee from a Shade Tree Mechanic who fixes up cars and sells them. I have had a few issues since I got it and it's starting to drain my wallet so I figured I'd make lemonade out of my lemon and try my hand at fixing it myself. I have limited mechanical experience so please be gentle.

So after a long morning of hitting ***** around with the racquet, (4 ace serves today!!), I head from the fitness center to pick up my daughter at her moms house. Air conditioner was working fine, then all of a sudden, I hear a sucking noise and no more air from the vents. The fan (blower) is working fine and the vents are actually cold but no air is coming out.

Thank you all in advance for any information you maybe able to supply.

JimmygG
Old 05-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

First of all, welcome to CF! You don't have to apologize for not knowing anything about your Jeep because most of us had to start where you are.

Jeep heater/AC problems are common. First of all, do you have the automatic dual zone climate control or the standard unit? Either way, I believe you have a blend door failure that has blocked air getting to the fan. This door is moved by a stepper motor but has a plastic connecting shaft inside the air box. If this is your problem, there are 2 ways of fixing it. One requires ripping most of the dash out to get to it. The other requires cutting a hole in the air box under the glove box and gluing/taping the piece back in when you're done. There are several companies that make a kit for this because it's so common.

I had this problem with my 97 ZJ (more on the letter-codes later). The blower sounded like a tornado trying to get thru a keyhole and the air just drifted out of my defroster vents. Luckily it was enough to defrost the windshield so I could drive it. I never fixed it because the rest of the jeep rusted enough to be unsafe to drive.

Okay, here's the scoop on the letter codes. The XJ is the Cherokee. The ZJ is the Grand Cherokee up until '98, then it became the WJ in '99 and in '05 it became the WK. There are a couple of good sites for parts, (my favorites) these are rockauto.com and jeep4x4.com Morris Motors is a little expensive but deal in good solid parts for off road use. You can get internal axle parts and stuff like that from them. I think the company for the blend door fix is "Heater Treaters" but you'll have to Google it to be sure. You might want to pick up a Haynes Repair Manual for your Jeep. They aren't very complete, but they're a good reference for basic maintenance and simple repairs.

Last edited by dave1123; 05-25-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:59 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7

-

Hey JimmG good to have you on the forum. Sorry to hear about your AC issues.

Believe it or not you and I have the same scenario behind our vehicle purchase with a shyster garage salesman situation. It sucks doesn't it?

Anyhow you may want to check this link out as I just had similar issues. I hope it helps you find your fix.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/mor...s-pics-194011/

There are very knowledgeable guys here and they are good people willing to help you. I know from experience as many of them have helped me over the past 60 days with my 02. Good luck and see you around the forum. Thank you

PeterB

-
Old 05-25-2014, 09:26 PM

Dave1123, thank you for vast knowledge you provided. And you too Peter I appreciate the kind response. Your post on that repair was very thorough.

I do not have the climate control unit. And Peter my blower is working, I can hear it run and when I change speeds I can also hear it change speeds.

I will have to look into Dave1123 suggestion on blend doors. is this an easy job to fix?

Both you men deserve a drink on me.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:40 PM

-

NP JimmyG don't mention it. There are several blend doors, from what I know you'll have to determine which one is which 1st...

Check these links out too, one has a diagram on the blend door repair and on the other some Tube links on on the same that were provided by another gentleman on this forum.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/squ...e-pics-193795/

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/tpm...y-pics-192905/

Good luck with.

PeterB

-

Last edited by PeterB; 05-25-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:03 AM

Accolades to PeterB with more great tech info.

You are the man. Thanks a bunch.

And to all the VETs Happy Memorial Day.

JimmygG
Old 05-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Jim, as far as I know, there are 3 air control doors inside your heater/AC unit. One is the "Mode" door that controls where your output goes, as in dash, floor, windshield, or combinations. The "Blend door changes the temperature of the output and this is the one that usually fails first. The third one is the "Recirc" door and this works on heat as well as AC. The reason I asked if you have dual-zone temp control is the blend door is a 2 part door and the control motor for one side of it is BEHIND the air box. Check your Private Messages.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:35 AM

-

Name:  image56.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  132.1 KB

-
Old 05-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Thanks Peter. You are so very kind to post that picture. My friend and I are checking things out right now and that pic will help.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:21 AM

Engine: 4.0

Y I K E S! Did I somehow get teleported back in time to the 1985 cast of Saturday Night Live? When I see Billy Crystal giving advice to Jim Bellushi on how to fix his jeep, I know it's time to gather the sheep and get the flock out of this thread. Somewhat creepy and strange at the same time.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:36 AM

So today my friend find the **** that selects the various vent options seems broken. I can literally turn it in a complete circle. Peter do you think this is causing the issues or should I continue looking at blend doors. My friend seems to think its this master control panel.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 PM

-

JimmyG keep at it, sounds like your on the right track.

Btw FishBone/Dave are more the Tech experts on these matters than I am. I'm just passing it on, paying it forward what I've leaned here over the past few weeks from them. Rest assured these men are very kind, extremely knowledgeable and true gentlemen.

I'm sure TechGuys may chime in shortly with some additional trouble shooting tips, suggestions. Good luck bud

-

Last edited by PeterB; 05-26-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:51 PM

Well Peter you nailed it my tech friend!

My friend was kind enough to run across town while I fired up the grill to a scrap yard that was open today and grab parts. We replaced the panel and bingo...........back in business. There will be no overworking my sweat glands while driving this summer thanks to you Peter. Couldn't have done it without your help bro.

I have an ice cold Molson and a steak with you name on it for all the help. How do you take your steak!? Rare? Medium? Well..........LOL

Out Bros
JimmygG