Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2001 jeep grand cherokke od/off

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight six
Default 2001 jeep grand cherokke od/off

Once in awile i get a trans over temp. Light and od/off light both at the same time. When they go out and everything is fine. If i am going 50mph and above they never come on. 4x4 vehicle. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'd say you have a partially plugged trans cooler. Most of the heat is generated in the torque convertor so at lower speeds, it's producing heat. Above 50 mph, or there abouts, the convertor lock-up clutch is engaged and the convertor just spins, not making any heat. The overtemp warning disengages the O/D because the controller thinks you're pulling a heavy load and drops a gear to reduce the strain.

Having said that, why it's plugged can get interesting. Not to scare you, but it could be plugged with clutch debris from the trans. Drop the trans pan and check for debris or a plugged filter. It could also be a crimped steel pipe going to the cooler or a restricted hose. Whatever the cause, your problem is lack of trans cooling.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
i'd say you have a partially plugged trans cooler. Most of the heat is generated in the torque convertor so at lower speeds, it's producing heat. Above 50 mph, or there abouts, the convertor lock-up clutch is engaged and the convertor just spins, not making any heat. The overtemp warning disengages the o/d because the controller thinks you're pulling a heavy load and drops a gear to reduce the strain.

Having said that, why it's plugged can get interesting. Not to scare you, but it could be plugged with clutch debris from the trans. Drop the trans pan and check for debris or a plugged filter. It could also be a crimped steel pipe going to the cooler or a restricted hose. Whatever the cause, your problem is lack of trans cooling.
thanks for the great tech. Info. I will drop the trans pan looks easy. Joe
Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I would also recommend NOT using RTV on the pan gasket. Little chunks can break off and lodge in the strangest of places, like spool valves and solenoids. I personally like Permatex Spray-a-Gasket. Hang the gasket and spray both sides. Then stick to the pan, start 2 bolts, then start the rest. Leave a gap until all the bolts are started, then tighten them like you would a head. DO NOT OVERTORQUE! this can bend the pan lip and cause leaks.

If you install a new filter, make sure it's installed into the seal properly, You can check this by holding the pan up against the trans without the gasket to see if it touches the filter. It shouldn't.

GM uses a magnetic particle trap (just a magnet in the pan) and I like this idea. My Chevy 700R4 blew up and when checking inside, the magnet looked like a furball! If you install one of these, make sure it clears everything like the linkage. GM usually puts it in the driver's side rear corner underneath the governor. IDK about Mopar.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:36 PM

Dave: Changed out the filter and that was the problem. CleAned the pan and magnet. 5qts of atf +4 and not more lights. Very easy to do. Put locktight on all the bolts and torqued them. I belive it was original had the cHrysler logo on the filter with the oem gasket and all the bolts snaped to break loose. Which means locktite. Most repair shops do NOT use it. ThanKs again. Joe

Last edited by JOE PALIO; 02-22-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:37 PM

TTT
Old 02-23-2014, 06:39 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I'd recommend changing the fluid again soon. The torque converter holds more fluid that the pan, so your new fluid is only 1/2 new. AND I hope you only used a little Locktite. One tiny drop is enough.