Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2001 jeep cherokee lorado heat not getting warm

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 jeep cherokee lorado heat not getting warm

Hello friends. I am having some problems with the heat on my 2001 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo and I was hoping some of you might have some advice. I do not have the dual climate zones just the single. My problem is that when the heat is set on the setting where it is re circulates the heat it does OK but when you change it from that to the floor, dash vents or defrost it gets a lot colder. It also seems to cool down some when its just idling or stopping at red lights. I have checked the coolant levels and to make sure that all of the lines are flowing and everything seems to be OK. There is not any mist or any thing like that on the wwindsheild nor do I smell any collant. I am wondering if I really do have a heater core problem if its the doors inside of the dash I have heard a lot about or if its a vacume problem. I have saw a few different post kind of like mine but are different in some ways. I have heard that the core and the doors are a real pain to replace so I'm just trying to make sure of what the problem could be before I go into tearing out the dash. This is my wife's jeep and I'm trying to keep it drive able as much as possable. Thank you all for any advice and tips you may have
Old 01-24-2014, 02:45 PM

do a really quick check... grab your heater hose inlet and returns... and check that at operating temperature.. that they are hott to the touch.. this will tell you whether you have hot coolant circulating through your heater core...and you should start checking elsewhere.

in any event... a good backflush of your heater core is never a bad idea regardless
Old 01-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It's possible your air inlet door is at fault. If it's not opening, it's not allowing outside air to enter the heater box. The problem with mine is it's not closing tightly and leaking heat in the summer. Most of the heater problems have to do with the blend door that directs heat to different outlets. Where the inlet door is and how to access it remains a question I haven't found the answer to yet.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:25 AM

Model: Cherokee

Was wondering if someone can help me with my jeep issue....
I have a 97 Grand Cherokee Lerado with a 5.2, has new battery, alt, starter, plugs, wires, brain box, and cable ends.......it starts just fine no problems at all when its warmer out but when it gets just the slightest big cold, it don't want to start in the morning, it just wants to keep dying out. After the day starts to warm up when I first try to start it after a cold night I have to keep my foot on the gas for a bit before it will stay running.
Any suggestions? I thought about a block heater but I don't want to put more unnecessary money in to it if its not needed or won't help.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:31 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by jmr1982
Hello friends. I am having some problems with the heat on my 2001 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo and I was hoping some of you might have some advice. I do not have the dual climate zones just the single. My problem is that when the heat is set on the setting where it is re circulates the heat it does OK but when you change it from that to the floor, dash vents or defrost it gets a lot colder. It also seems to cool down some when its just idling or stopping at red lights. I have checked the coolant levels and to make sure that all of the lines are flowing and everything seems to be OK. There is not any mist or any thing like that on the wwindsheild nor do I smell any collant. I am wondering if I really do have a heater core problem if its the doors inside of the dash I have heard a lot about or if its a vacume problem. I have saw a few different post kind of like mine but are different in some ways. I have heard that the core and the doors are a real pain to replace so I'm just trying to make sure of what the problem could be before I go into tearing out the dash. This is my wife's jeep and I'm trying to keep it drive able as much as possable. Thank you all for any advice and tips you may have
Just an update. My problem seems to have gone away since I've flushed the system, changed the thermostat, and added new coolant. It still leaks heat when off, but gets nice and warm when I need it. I used a Stant Super-Stat at 195*. Your doors are not vacuum, they are controlled by stepper motors (electric)