Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2001 Grand Jeep Cherokee ABS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 Grand Jeep Cherokee ABS Problem

I have ABS Codes 02, 04, 06, 08, 09, 11.

I think 02, 04, 06, and 08 mean a signal failure from each wheel sensor. 09 is a signal failure from the hydraulic pump. 11 is an ECU internal failure. The code information I gleaned from the internet.

Symptoms - The jeep will start and idle. I can repeat this. If i drive the jeep, once i park and turn it off, it will start up and then shut off. If i use a scanner and clear the codes, I can start it up and idle as before.

I read that the ABS system is not necessary for operation of the jeep, so it doesn't seem like these ABS codes would cause the jeep to disallow driving. There are not any other codes at the moment though.

When it first began to have these symptoms and before I reset it the first time there were other codes. These were P1762 and P1763. These indicate the A/T Governor Pressure Sensor Signal Too High. These codes were not new. They had been present for a couple of weeks and the MIL was intermittent. I also had codes 0300, 0305, and 0306. These are related to engine misfires. 0300 and 0305 were pending. 0306 had freeze frame data that I was not able to read at the time with my scanner.

The morning that the symptoms started I slid into a snow bank in bad weather. Very slow speeds around a turn. The jeep did not stall and the bump was minor. I reversed and continued on my way. I did brake hard enough to use the ABS just before impact to slow down as much as possible.

When I clear the codes and run the vehicle, only the ABS codes display. Since that is the only codes the scanner displays, I would like to fix this problem and see if that will correct the problem. Code 11 is an ECU internal failure. I think this refers to the ECU in the ABS control module. I think the failure is here because it cannot read signals from any wheel or the pump. I want to check the physical status of the wiring to determine if there is any physical damage that would cause these read failures.

I do not have a manual and I am not a mechanic and I am not familiar with the ABS system. I would like to know if anyone can help me find the ABS controller and if there are any tips you can share that will help me do this check before I take it to a mechanic. Also any tips are welcome if any of this information points to something else I can check. Thank you for your time and knowledge, in advance!

Last edited by DeckSmeck; 02-09-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That's weird because on my 2000, the ABS is a totally separate system independent of the PCM. The only way I can read codes from it is with a DRB scan tool. My ABS hasn't worked in 3 years even though I've replaced all the wheel sensors and tone rings. It doesn't interfere with driving the jeep in any way. I have a piece of black electrical tape over the warning light! NY State inspection doesn't require it to work.

Actually, I prefer it NOT to work. It's more of a nuisance than a help. My foot works better. I took the control fuses out and I kept getting spurious messages on my VIC. "Memory mirrors disabled, seatbelt unfastened." WTF? I don't have memory mirrors and my seatbelt WAS fastened!
Old 02-09-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I was using this.

https://www.innova.com/en-US/Product...88954606439345

It lists the PCM codes then the ABS codes after.