Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo Electrical Issue (imagine that)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo Electrical Issue (imagine that)

I have been battling this for electrical issue for quite some time. I was told the control module is draining the battery so I pull that fuse out at night time so the jeep starts in the morning. I haven't had any starting problems with the jeep since then. I did have the belt replaced and the engine tuned up recently. 2 weeks ago while I was driving at night I noticed that the lights on the dash would go dim and get bright again. I also had the wipers going because it was raining and the fan turned on. I made sure my headlights were off and the brake lights because I noticed a few times the brake lights were stuck on after I parked. The next day I went to start up the jeep, completely dead!!! I was able to jump the battery and let it run for 15 mins and took it out for a drive. It started for the next couple of days and then yesterday, same thing. Is it possible that leaving the fan on and leaving the wipers on the on position would drain my battery like that? I took it up to car parts place and they did a battery test and it was a little low and it reads at 14 while driving. I noticed a burning smell when the guy at the parts store told me to turn everything on when he was checking the alternator. (which I was told it is good by him and the guys at the place where I have taken my jeep for the part 5 years for maintenance).
Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Okay, I've been told there are switches in the door latches that if not working, will keep the Body Control Module live and cause a battery drain. IDK for sure, but it's something worth looking at. Also, when the brake lights stay on, try lifting the pedal with your foot to see if they turn off. The switch might be out of adjustment. It's a multi-function switch that sends a command to the PCM to disengage the cruise control and it might still be sending that signal, causing the PCM to stay live.

There are many YouTube videos about how to do a parasitic draw test on the electrical system, the best I've seen is by "Bleepin' Jeeps". He goes beyond finding out which fuse is causing the problem.