Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ tinted front window question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 v8...
Default WJ tinted front window question?

Morning,
I am curious, did the front windows ever come factory tinted like the passenger windows in any WJ's? My 01 Wj got robbed this morning, and they took nothing of value. I have another piece of glass ordered but, Im curious as I can go to a great boneyard that has probably close to 30-40 WJs in it that I could pick. If any did come factory tinted, can someone please tell me the year and the trim level? I have tried google, and found nothing either way really. Thanks
Old 05-27-2017, 06:23 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The front window glass in WJs are tinted, but very slightly, not as dark as the rear ones. They are only tinted as much as the windshield is. In most states, dark tint on the front windows is illegal because the police must be able to see the driver, even at night. This holds true even for limos. NY just came thru with a light transference test that every vehicle must pass on every inspection. My mechanic friend just spent $$$ on 3 different brand testers to make sure they pass the test. I think the standard is the glass must pass at least 70% of the light passing thru it. There is a list of which windows can be darker than that depending on the vehicle type.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:53 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Here in North Carolina you are allowed tint rated at 35% for driver and passenger side. If looking for a summer only tint that is darker and easily passes inspection (by removing it)than try the static cling type. I use it over the 35%. It installs and removes easily with no residue.
Attached Thumbnails WJ tinted front window question?-dsc05440.jpg   WJ tinted front window question?-1.jpg  
Old 05-27-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Hows the surf in N Carolina? I have surfed almost everywhere but not there. I just moved back to N California after spending 24 years in Hawaii.