Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1997 transmition Jeep Grand Cher

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1997 transmition Jeep Grand Cher

I just got a 97 Jeep, no history known. when it is cold and you start it it goes into all gears but after a few min of warming up it does not go into any of then. what can be cause of this? bad filter? or something else?
Old 04-21-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by Chapulin0820
I just got a 97 Jeep, no history known. when it is cold and you start it it goes into all gears but after a few min of warming up it does not go into any of then. what can be cause of this? bad filter? or something else?
I have a 97 ZJ as well.. I cant tell you which did it for me but I had the problem, kind of. It would still go into gear, just took some time. The key to any new jeep is you cant trust the PO. Change the fluids and filters immediately. Also, the problem on mine I think was the shift linkage was getting hung up under the car.. Not sure which one of these fixed my problem since I did them all at once... but either way your going to want to change the filter and fluid so I would try that and then while your under there check out the linkage...

Im sure someone else can give you more "technical" advice but that worked for me so I thought I would share.

ie - transmission warming up and getting to hot, solenoid bad, etc...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM

Sounds exactly the same as what mine did, mine would drive when cold but once warm it acted as if it was in nuetral. My issue was the torque converter but I replaced the whole transmission due to chunks of the converter being thrown throughout my tranny. If its the same, pull the tranny pan and see if there are metal chunks or smells like metal has been grinding on metal. There will be chunks of metal covered in the filter as well.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Before you go all nuclear on your tranny, check fluid level when hot and idling in neutral if you have a 4.0.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

True or False;

Unless you've changed the transmission fluid/filter regularly 15k/20K since the vehicle was new. Do not mess with trans fluid/filter changes.

Flushing all that dirt out, could very well be what may be keeping those gears working. True False ?

Back to OPs 97 JGC transmission.

Thank you.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

You know, my first impression is that the first sentence is true. I've heard that pretty much all of my life.

But that is probably an urban legend.

I think people finally change their fluid when they detect something is wrong with the transmission. Then the transmission blows anyway after the fluid change. So they blame it on the new fluid.

Last edited by Firestorm500; 04-23-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:27 AM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7

Firestorm I hear ha Brotha. I've head it all my life as well.

Not sure trans oil breaks down as much either but I'm sure over time everything does... That being said if you bought it new (my last JGC Limited 47 had 600 miles on it) I changed it and transfer case every 20K. Trashed it at 310,000.00 miles

My trans went out at at approx 120K. So just coincidence? Who knows. I do trailer a Ranger walleye rig and maybe that had something to do with it too? Not sure yet I'd say I got my $ worth out of the Jeep. Good car too.

It makes logical sense that the dirt in between the gears keeps them intact and flushing it could make it fail? Then again it failed anyways? Can win for loosing hahhahah

This 02 I'm driving for the past 90 days. Trans fluid looks dirty. I have no clue if it was ever serviced or not. Would I roll the dice and change that filter/fluid.

NO. Leave it be I don't have any extra $cratch to put towards trans service.

That's just me. Thank you.

PeterB.

Btw on my 01VetVert I use Mobil1 synthetic engine oil. I change it every year whether it needs it or not. I usually put on couple thousand a season at most. Trans, you guessed it. I don't mess with it, just check it for level.

Back to OP original 97 Trans service -

Last edited by PeterB; 04-23-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by PeterB
Firestorm I hear ha Brotha. I've head it all my life as well.

Not sure trans oil breaks down as much either but I'm sure over time everything does... That being said if you bought it new (my last JGC Limited 47 had 600 miles on it) I changed it and transfer case every 20K. Trashed it at 310,000.00 miles

My trans went out at at approx 120K. So just coincidence? Who knows. I do trailer a Ranger walleye rig and maybe that had something to do with it too? Not sure yet I'd say I got my $ worth out of the Jeep. Good car too.

It makes logical sense that the dirt in between the gears keeps them intact and flushing it could make it fail? Then again it failed anyways? Can win for loosing hahhahah

This 02 I'm driving for the past 90 days. Trans fluid looks dirty. I have no clue if it was ever serviced or not. Would I roll the dice and change that filter/fluid.

NO. Leave it be I don't have any extra $cratch to put towards trans service.

That's just me. Thank you.

PeterB.

Btw on my 01VetVert I use Mobil1 synthetic engine oil. I change it every year whether it needs it or not. I usually put on couple thousand a season at most. Trans, you guessed it. I don't mess with it, just check it for level.

Back to OP original 97 Trans service -
I'd encourage you to talk to an Amsoil rep, they're pretty helpful and willing to take the time to explain the differences of their oils and how they break down overtime. I know they're trying to also sell products but I found the guy who helped me was pretty knowledgeable and provided me with charts and a bunch of general info not specific to just Amsoil.