Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1996 jeep grand cherokee laredo start and stall problems

Old 06-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 jeep grand cherokee laredo start and stall problems

I have 1996 grand Cherokee that has 18x,xxx miles on it. In the past year it has been stalling while going down the road it also hesitates sometimes. When it stalls sometimes it will start back fine and sometimes it won't start back at all. But if I go somewhere like school or work it will not start when I'm about to leave. It has had the crankshaft sensor, coil, and many other sensors. Recently the starter has gone bad from the year of trying to start it and it not starting. While it's in the shop to have the starter fixed I'm going to have him try the two screws behind the coolant chamber. It doesn't have a check engine light on and isn't giving any codes.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to anything else it could be?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Check your fuel pressure when the engine is running it could be the fuel pump. Mine did the same thing.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zj heep
Check your fuel pressure when the engine is running it could be the fuel pump. Mine did the same thing.
That is one of the many other things that have been checked before
Old 06-22-2011, 07:55 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 liter line 6cyl.

had same problem, another guy in the forum said the fuel pump stops working when it gets hot. I'm looking into this myself. In the meantime clean the fuel/air intake butterfly with carburetor cleaner to free the butterfly from sticking, it's working for me so far. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:28 AM

I had the same problem on my 97 JGC. Stalled at low speeds..then it got to the point it would shut off completely but would always start back up but the check engine light would never come on to give a code. I changed the crank sensor, but that didn't work so I bought a new Idle Air Control ***. Now it runs great and doesn't stall out or shut off any more. Hope this is a help to you
Old 07-31-2011, 11:27 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L

Have the crank shaft sensor checked or replaced. My 94 5.2L did the exact same thing and i replaced the crank shaft sensore and hasn't done it since. Sensor is located by the bellhousing of the transmission on the top side. If you do replace do not get the cheapy one from autozone or any of those places. Get the one from Jeep, it's like $120 but worth it in the long run.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 AM

Year: 1995

Have u tried plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? Aka the simple "tuneup". Just a thought...
Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 AM

Default 96 start and stall reply

Originally Posted by Stoxdad
I had the same problem on my 97 JGC. Stalled at low speeds..then it got to the point it would shut off completely but would always start back up but the check engine light would never come on to give a code. I changed the crank sensor, but that didn't work so I bought a new Idle Air Control ***. Now it runs great and doesn't stall out or shut off any more. Hope this is a help to you
Your question:
Have u tried plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? Aka the simple "tuneup". Just a thought...Yes I did all that, changing the Idle Air control valve worked. I had cleaned the IACV twice but never thought to change it out. Hope this is your answer.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM

Year: 1995

Did it work for xXxRAGANxXx tho?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 PM

I cleaned the o2 sensor and the throttle body and my jeep is running great. Other than every now and then it takes a second or two to start but that's it.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Now my only problem is getting the latch for the hatch window to work properly.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:07 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: V8

What's wrong with your hatch? I've taken mine apart a few times.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 AM

Default Starting and Stalling Jeep Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by xXxRAGANxXx
I have 1996 grand Cherokee that has 18x,xxx miles on it. In the past year it has been stalling while going down the road it also hesitates sometimes. When it stalls sometimes it will start back fine and sometimes it won't start back at all. But if I go somewhere like school or work it will not start when I'm about to leave. It has had the crankshaft sensor, coil, and many other sensors. Recently the starter has gone bad from the year of trying to start it and it not starting. While it's in the shop to have the starter fixed I'm going to have him try the two screws behind the coolant chamber. It doesn't have a check engine light on and isn't giving any codes.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to anything else it could be?

In the fuse box under the hood there is some black relays. The lid will tell you which is which. Pull out the one marked ASD and switch it with the one marked I/wiper. The ASD is auto shutdown device relay it is defective and kicks out and then resets - hence the starting and stalling. I believe this system was put in to protect the computers from power surges. If this cures your Jeep replace the bad relay and go about you merry way.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Just a tutorial; The ASD (Auto Shutdown Relay) is energized by the PCM after it gets a CPS signal and it turns on power to the ignition and injector circuits. If, for some reason, the CPS signal is lost or becomes intermittent, the PCM de-energizes the ASD, shutting down the engine. The fuel pump relay is also controlled by the PCM the same way. This is why the CPS is so critical to the engine running. It also doesn't set a code.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:37 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default My Jeep is shutting oan hour later it will crank right a little bit and then shut off

Originally Posted by xXxRAGANxXx
I have 1996 grand Cherokee that has 18x,xxx miles on it. In the past year it has been stalling while going down the road it also hesitates sometimes. When it stalls sometimes it will start back fine and sometimes it won't start back at all. But if I go somewhere like school or work it will not start when I'm about to leave. It has had the crankshaft sensor, coil, and many other sensors. Recently the starter has gone bad from the year of trying to start it and it not starting. While it's in the shop to have the starter fixed I'm going to have him try the two screws behind the coolant chamber. It doesn't have a check engine light on and isn't giving any codes.Has anybody got any suggestions as to anything else it could be?
My Jeep is doing the same thing I had to change both crank sensors the the coil pack fuel filter and fuel pump and it's still doing the same ..