Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1995 G. Cherokee Limited

Old 04-14-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy 1995 G. Cherokee Limited

Hi! So, I'm here with a few questions about my Grand Cherokee.

The other day I went to start my car and it acted like it was going to start but just faded out. When I press on the gas it sounds like it's going to start but it doesn't. I'm not very good with cars at all, so any questions may sound crazy but i have a few.

I changed my fuel pump a few months back because i had to turn my key multiple times for my car to start and after i replaced my fuel pump it started right up. Could it not starting now be related to the same problem?
If my Idle air control is broken, does that make my jeep not start?

and check engine light has always showed up since i have gotten the car, but i never thought it was anything big.

Does anyone have similar problem or any advice? I do not feel like spending a ton of money without some input..... thank u.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:56 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Okay, the first thing I suggest you do is buy a Haynes Auto Repair Manual. The reason I suggest this one is it's relatively inexpensive and covers the basics in plain language. You should also tell us what engine you have.

Then you need to extract the diagnostic codes stored in the PCM (computer). The procedure is explained on page 6-5 of the manual, but I'll explain it here also. When the "check engine" light turns on, it means the PCM has detected a fault and set a code(s). These codes can be displayed by a scan tool or by the "key trick" method. This is done by turning on the ignition until the warning lights light up, then off, on, off, then on and wait. The CEL will start flashing, the number of flashes determines a number. For instance a code 23 will be two quick flashes followed by 3 quick flashes, then a pause. Any additional codes will be displayed after the pause in the same manner. A code 55 means "end of test". You need to have something to write them down, trying to remember them can get confusing. It's a good idea to repeat the test after getting the codes to make sure you got them right. You can repeat the test after turning the key off and starting again.

Page 6-6 of the manual has the diagnostic codes for your jeep listed before the chart for the later models.

In my opinion, a broken IAC (idle air control) may not cause it not to start, but will cause it not to run after starting or run very erratically. The PCM uses this sensor to control fuel mixtures along with other sensors.

One thing though. A bad CPS (crankshaft position sensor) will not set a code, but will not allow it to start. You'll need someone to test it for producing a signal while cranking the engine, OR you can just replace it anyway as some people do. It's expensive, a real pain to change, and it might not be the cause. Your call.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Start by checking the battery. A weak battery can turn the engine over but not have enough juice for the fuel and ignition systems.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to CF!

Okay, the first thing I suggest you do is buy a Haynes Auto Repair Manual. The reason I suggest this one is it's relatively inexpensive and covers the basics in plain language. You should also tell us what engine you have.

Then you need to extract the diagnostic codes stored in the PCM (computer). The procedure is explained on page 6-5 of the manual, but I'll explain it here also. When the "check engine" light turns on, it means the PCM has detected a fault and set a code(s). These codes can be displayed by a scan tool or by the "key trick" method. This is done by turning on the ignition until the warning lights light up, then off, on, off, then on and wait. The CEL will start flashing, the number of flashes determines a number. For instance a code 23 will be two quick flashes followed by 3 quick flashes, then a pause. Any additional codes will be displayed after the pause in the same manner. A code 55 means "end of test". You need to have something to write them down, trying to remember them can get confusing. It's a good idea to repeat the test after getting the codes to make sure you got them right. You can repeat the test after turning the key off and starting again.

Page 6-6 of the manual has the diagnostic codes for your jeep listed before the chart for the later models.

In my opinion, a broken IAC (idle air control) may not cause it not to start, but will cause it not to run after starting or run very erratically. The PCM uses this sensor to control fuel mixtures along with other sensors.

One thing though. A bad CPS (crankshaft position sensor) will not set a code, but will not allow it to start. You'll need someone to test it for producing a signal while cranking the engine, OR you can just replace it anyway as some people do. It's expensive, a real pain to change, and it might not be the cause. Your call.

thanks for the info, I replaced my broken IAC and it started right up! Hopefully my car sitting for a few days wasn't what fixed it because I don't want the problem to come back up, heh!
If however it doesn't work out I will try the other things you suggested, and probably get a manual

and for anyone else looking at this thread I have
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L V8 4WD just incase someone runs into this problem, too.

Last edited by girlyjeep; 04-15-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Start by checking the battery. A weak battery can turn the engine over but not have enough juice for the fuel and ignition systems.
thanks for the info, I had to replace the IAC and that fixed it.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:43 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Suggestion. Go to "User CP", click on "edit details", and add your jeep's info. It will pop up in your header every time you post. It makes it easier to figure out what you're talking about.