Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1994 Grand Cherokee: WILL NOT START ~ Help "Please"

Old 12-01-2010, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994 & 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: Both have the 4.0
Default 1994 Grand Cherokee: WILL NOT START ~ Help "Please"

I have recently purchased a 94 Grand Cherokee (4.0 - Auto/Select Trac).

It has an aftermarket auto start/alarm system that was installed when I bought it, it is a:

"COOL START - Crime Stopper RS900 VI"

I have the FOB, but The Auto Start has never worked, but the stupid high pitch dinging tune for the alarm does ...

THE ISSUE <<<

3 times now, I have been left stranded, the battery is good & fully charged, it is the engine kill switch that "I believe" is the reason.

The person (or child) whom installed it is a HACK ! wires are hanging down & electrical tape is everywhere.

QUESTION: I do not know much about wiring, any ideas on how to remove it or ... can I just remove the engine kill switch (would it work) & specifically HOW do I go about doing it ?

FYI <<<
Aftermarket fob has a good battery(but it does not do anything & I do not have a OEM fob.
Power locks unlock but don't lock
I lost my power windows a couple weeks ago (will not work)
&
The rear tail light failure indicator has been on for about a week (but I have full tail lights (Brake, Turns, Park & Reverse).
I have tried calling & emailing COOL START - CRIME STOPPER company many times, have NEVER heard back from them

I HAVE to be my own mechanic/wiring guy, so bringing it to a shop is not an option. Jeep is currently 7 mile "walk" away in a walmart parking lot.

Please Help <<< Thank You~* !
Old 12-01-2010, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

I wish I could help,but I'm no good at wiring either. Try sending a PM to Russ, (Willys55) >https://www.cherokeeforum.com/privat...o=newpm&u=8410
He's the go-to guy here for Grand Cherokee issues.
And Welcome to CF.
Dan
Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Damn

It does sound like the alarm is messing up. It is impossible to diagnose such a problem without being able to see it.
First I would go thru the wiring and check connections. Then go thru and check for shorts or bare wires. Then check all your fuses. After that I can't tell you much. There may be a fuse inline to the alarm unit also.
I've worked on a bronco that had an alarm that screwed up on it. At first it seemed like the selenoid was bad. I ended up finding the alarm and getting rid of it and everything was ok.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 5.2

Try putting the truck in nutrel and your foot on the brake then turn the key.it happens to my 95 5.2 all the time.Just today infact.But it works wireing ? my wireing has been replaced aswell im tolled.Give it a shot.cost nothing! Right in my price range
Old 12-02-2010, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

try locking and unlocking the rear hatch. that usually resets the alarm/disable.
if that doesn't work, try the doors.
hope that gets you going.

other than that, it might be your CPS.

does it crank?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:42 PM

Default SOME PROGRESS ...

FIRST, I WOULD LIKE TO SAY "THANK YOU" TO EVERYONE THAT TOOK THE TIME TO REPLY, I AM VERY APPRECIATIVE !!! <<<

Well ... here's the update ...

I have a friend w/ AAA had to towed to Bestbuy, they pulled the after market alarm/remote start since it has an engine kill switch. Still didn't work, no change what so ever, the guy at Bestbuy was actually Very Nice, since it didn't start he went onto google and tried to trouble shoot it via forums like this one.

He checked the power from the ignition all the way to the starter, zero issues
He checked the fuses in the engine bay and near the glove compartment, all were fine.

I went there this afternoon, pushed it out of their bay and down into a parking space.

I replaced an "UN-BURNT-OUT" bulb because the glass kept spinning when I tried to put it back in, this fixed the "Rear Tail Light Failure" message.

I pushed back the rubber boot that covers the wires going into the drivers side door to find that there was one broken wire, touched the two together and now I have my power windows back.

However ... I still have a JEEP that won't crank over/start ... Nothing !

I have plenty of power in the battery, turn the headlights on and turn the key and they do not even flicker/dim, nothing ! The only other oddity "now" is the information panel flashes pretty quickly.

Called a autoparts shop the guy said to "tap" the starter with a hammer.

any other ideas would be great !

THANKS' AGAIN EVERYONE <<<<
Old 12-02-2010, 05:04 PM

This might sound asinine, but I have a suggestion for you to try. I've only had my 94 Cherokee for... 4 days now, but I have experienced the same thing.

Here's the story: Yesterday my gf and I were going to get some pizza. It was her first time seeing the car, and I wanted her to see how ghetto it was compared my '11 Mustang GT (I bought the Jeep for $950). So I start it up, turn on the heat, and we make the 1 mile trip to Cottage Inn. We get the pizza and get in the car to return home. I turn the key... nothing. WTF. I'm like, great. The lights work, the radio works, everything seems to be fine. The few times the car has started for me, it fired right up, even though it has 176k miles. After fiddling with all the switches and buttons in the interior, I slided the heat/ac selector to OFF, and BOOM, started right up. Again, WTF.

The guy I bought it from said that it "rarely" doesn't start because of the sensor that detects what gear you're in was broken.

Try my simple suggestion, I hope it works!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
I wish I could help,but I'm no good at wiring either. Try sending a PM to Russ, (Willys55) >https://www.cherokeeforum.com/privat...o=newpm&u=8410
He's the go-to guy here for Grand Cherokee issues.
And Welcome to CF.
Dan
Thank you,

I appreciate the link & have messaged him, I responded in more detail at the bottom of the question.
Don
Old 12-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Maretchek
This might sound asinine, but I have a suggestion for you to try. I've only had my 94 Cherokee for... 4 days now, but I have experienced the same thing.

Here's the story: Yesterday my gf and I were going to get some pizza. It was her first time seeing the car, and I wanted her to see how ghetto it was compared my '11 Mustang GT (I bought the Jeep for $950). So I start it up, turn on the heat, and we make the 1 mile trip to Cottage Inn. We get the pizza and get in the car to return home. I turn the key... nothing. WTF. I'm like, great. The lights work, the radio works, everything seems to be fine. The few times the car has started for me, it fired right up, even though it has 176k miles. After fiddling with all the switches and buttons in the interior, I slided the heat/ac selector to OFF, and BOOM, started right up. Again, WTF.

The guy I bought it from said that it "rarely" doesn't start because of the sensor that detects what gear you're in was broken.

Try my simple suggestion, I hope it works!
LOL< that is odd... I'll give it a shot though, thank you, I appreciate it !
Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by caged
try locking and unlocking the rear hatch. that usually resets the alarm/disable.
if that doesn't work, try the doors.
hope that gets you going.

other than that, it might be your CPS.

does it crank?
I did "try" the doors & hatch

ended up bringing it to bestbuy & had them rip out the after market alarm/remote starter ... & yea ... still nothing...

Is there anyway to check the CPS ?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by munyanb
It does sound like the alarm is messing up. It is impossible to diagnose such a problem without being able to see it.
First I would go thru the wiring and check connections. Then go thru and check for shorts or bare wires. Then check all your fuses. After that I can't tell you much. There may be a fuse inline to the alarm unit also.
I've worked on a bronco that had an alarm that screwed up on it. At first it seemed like the selenoid was bad. I ended up finding the alarm and getting rid of it and everything was ok.
towed it to bestbuy, the guys there were really great, off the ramp truck & into the bay, NICE ! I thought...,
However after they pulled the alarm/remote start & re-hooked up the wiring... nada, nothing, zilch !!!
The guy ended up staying late and searching for a solution, checked all fuses, even double checked power from the ignition to the starter all worked fine.

But still nothing... I ended up pulling off door panels, rear hatch panel, center of dash around the radio... you name it !

I didn't find out the no start problem,
but did find/fix the "rear tail light failure" & the broken wire to the power windows... going for another walk again tomorrow, at least its only 6 miles away now
Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

can you jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver?