Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1993 Grand starts and dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1993 Grand starts and dies

I have a 1993 Grand, base model, 4.0L, auto trans. I recently washed the engine bay at the car wash and blew the 20A pcm fuse. Installed another fuse and heard a "pop" from pcm followed by electrical smoke. Trailered home and installed a new Standard Motor Products pcm (p/n 56027762). Motor starts and dies. I determined the injectors stop firing after the key is released. Ordered another ecm from a rebuilder that programs to the actual vin#. It does the same thing.

From all my research, it appears the pcm is in security mode. Problem is, my Jeep does not have security. I understand that a pcm from a vehicle with security can not be installed in one without. However, I'd like to think the remanufactured pcm memory has been "cleared".

I'm at a loss. I don't think of any other component that would disable the injectors when key is released. It's also not real likely I've received two defective pcm's.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Roadknee
I have a 1993 Grand, base model, 4.0L, auto trans. I recently washed the engine bay at the car wash and blew the 20A pcm fuse. Installed another fuse and heard a "pop" from pcm followed by electrical smoke. Trailered home and installed a new Standard Motor Products pcm (p/n 56027762). Motor starts and dies. I determined the injectors stop firing after the key is released. Ordered another ecm from a rebuilder that programs to the actual vin#. It does the same thing.

From all my research, it appears the pcm is in security mode. Problem is, my Jeep does not have security. I understand that a pcm from a vehicle with security can not be installed in one without. However, I'd like to think the remanufactured pcm memory has been "cleared".

I'm at a loss. I don't think of any other component that would disable the injectors when key is released. It's also not real likely I've received two defective pcm's.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Possible ignition switch ?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called tech support where I received the second pcm. They immediately admitted their mistake and overnighted me another pcm. Installed it and fired up on the first crank.

So if you need to install a new pcm in your Jeep w/o security, make sure you talk to the supplier and they understand that you need one without security. If you buy one from a parts house, it's a roll of the dice.