Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

08' laredo dropping mpg in just weeks

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 08' laredo dropping mpg in just weeks

Hey, I am new here and wanted to say thanks for having me. I have a 2008 GC laredo w/3.7 I have owned it for about 4mo, the display has been averaging 18.7-19.0mpg until about 2wks ago it started dropping a little each day and now it'd down to 17.5. I was wondering if it could be a fuel filter issue, or maybe needing new sparkplugs. If anyone has any ideas please let me know
Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 AM

Year: 2015
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2l

Originally Posted by blackgeco1
Hey, I am new here and wanted to say thanks for having me. I have a 2008 GC laredo w/3.7 I have owned it for about 4mo, the display has been averaging 18.7-19.0mpg until about 2wks ago it started dropping a little each day and now it'd down to 17.5. I was wondering if it could be a fuel filter issue, or maybe needing new sparkplugs. If anyone has any ideas please let me know

MPG can be determined by many things. Bad fuel, weather, tire pressure, vaccum leaks, worn plugs, etc. How many miles do you have on your GC and when was the last time you did a tune up? I don't know your location, but here in N.Y. my MPG starts to drop right around October when the weather gets cooler and the gas at our stations gets turned from a summer to a winter blend. I've also found the overhead display to be terribly inaccurate, at least in my 04.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I use my 00 WJ for newspaper delivery and the overhead display is shockingly accurate, but disturbing. I run about 16 mpg in summer highway use and around 12.5 during deliveries. That's stop and go every mailbox 400 times a day. In winter, I get about 10.5 during deliveries. That's what the overhead says and computing by mileage and actual fuel usage, it's correct, plus or minus 1. I'd like to try using Super Premium which has no alcohol in it to see what kind of mileage I'd get, but my wallet won't let me.

Also, it doesn't seem to matter weither I'm in 4WD or 2WD. The mileage is about the same.

Welcome to CF! And hello, Creature. Been kind of quiet lately, haven't you?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 AM

Year: 2015
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2l

Originally Posted by dave1123
I use my 00 WJ for newspaper delivery and the overhead display is shockingly accurate, but disturbing. I run about 16 mpg in summer highway use and around 12.5 during deliveries. That's stop and go every mailbox 400 times a day. In winter, I get about 10.5 during deliveries. That's what the overhead says and computing by mileage and actual fuel usage, it's correct, plus or minus 1. I'd like to try using Super Premium which has no alcohol in it to see what kind of mileage I'd get, but my wallet won't let me.

Also, it doesn't seem to matter weither I'm in 4WD or 2WD. The mileage is about the same.

Welcome to CF! And hello, Creature. Been kind of quiet lately, haven't you?
That's rather interesting to hear, Dave. My display always seems to be 2 to 3 mpg's higher than my actual calculated mileage at fill up. The SavOn on route 31 in Canastota and route 5 in Oneida have non ethanol in regular, plus, and premium. I did try all flavors over the summer when I had the money and honestly didn't see a difference in mileage. Of course SavOn's normal gas is rumoured to be of low quality, and I'm not sure if that applies to their non ethanol gas as well.

Yes, Dave, I haven't been very active as of late. Between my wife's surgery over the summer and recently finding out that I have to demolish a good chuck of my house and rebuild new because structural of damage caused by termites I've been preoccupied. But I digress, don't mean to high jack OP's thread.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:05 PM

Model: Cherokee

I live in missouri so I'm not sure if we have winter/summer blends. Mileage is 110xxx, haven't done a tune up since I bought it, but changed the oil that day.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee

I'm in Kansas City Mo and we do have a summer and winter blend on gas
Old 12-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Actually, I think a lot of the poorer mileage in the winter has to do with warm-up periods. I sit for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours sometimes waiting for the newspaper branch distributor to open and when it's very cold, I'm idling much if that time trying to stay warm. If I switch my overhead display to "miles to empty", I can watch the miles tick off. It's kind of discouraging, so I wind up freezing a lot!

Another thing. For the past 3 weeks, the Syracuse Post Standard has produced a 4 section paper on Sundays. When I load my 400 copies, I'll bet you there is almost 800 to 1000 lbs. in my jeep! I now have a bad rear wheel bearing to replace. Anyone who thinks this job is easy hasn't done it!

However, I think the Jeep is up to the challenge. I've seen several Ford Explorers bite the dust on this job. Not mine, other peoples.

Creature, as far as Sav-on gas is concerned, My Chevy 350 would ping on 87 octane, but was fine on 89. To everyone else, Sav-on is stations owned and operated by the Onieda Indian Nation.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-11-2013 at 08:59 AM.