Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

05 sway bar link question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 PM
npk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.8L
Default 05 sway bar link question

The bolt that attaches the bottom end of the sway bar link is froze and won't loosen. My link is fine but the bolt is backed out 1/4 inch and won't turn either direction. So there is slack. It pops back and forth while driving. My plan is to soak the bolt in pb blaster every day and try to turn it every 2 or 3 days. The problem with this plan is that since I started it the popping is worse. Since it is lubricated it pops back and forth more often. I'm scared that this may break the bolt off. Have any of you ever used some type of spacer to fix this problem? If so what did you use?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

IMHO, cut the bolt and replace the links (both sides). they are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace, thus ending your headaches.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:00 PM
npk

Originally Posted by dave1123
IMHO, cut the bolt and replace the links (both sides). they are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace, thus ending your headaches.
yes, the links are cheap. but there is nothing wrong with them. just one bolt is backed out 1/8 inch and froze in that position. it won't loosen or tighten. i am trying to avoid breaking the bolt off and cutting it would give the same result as breaking it off. i want to avoid having to drill the stuck bolt out of the control arm or replace the control arm.

i am just looking for suggestions for a spacer to take up the slack. something that will slide over the bolt from the side between the sway bar link end and the bolt head. it needs to stay put after it is installed. any suggestions?

edit: you might be thinking my links are the tie rod end type. they are not. the ends are rubber bushings. they attach with a separate bolt that goes through the bushing and threads into the control arm (no nut on the backside). this is the factory setup. the bolt has backed out of the control arm and froze. now there is slack for the bushing to move forward and backwards. looking for a way to take up the slack while waiting for the rust to dissolve. i will more than likely have to drill out the bolt, but i want to try to avoid it if possible.

Last edited by npk; 08-10-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I was thinking about the sway bar links on the older live axle trucks where they are just long bolts with bushings on the top end, a long spacer, and bushings on the bottom end. They are like shock absorber bushings with washers top and bottom on each end. Some have nuts on both ends. IDK what the 05s look like. You have the independent suspension, right? Unfortunately, once those nuts lock in place, there isn't much hope. They will normally break if you try to move them. I take it you have bolts instead of studs. I can't think of any kind of spacer you can put in there that will stay except maybe a heavy washer cut in half and retained with a hose clamp. Kind of a futsey kind of fix.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:55 PM
npk

Patience paid off. The pb blaster finally made it through. I removed the bolt then ran a tap through the threads in the control arm to clean them up. I reattached the link with a new bolt. Clunking gone. Problem solved!