Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

03 WJ engine split second cut out, never stalls

Old 03-07-2019, 12:34 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default 03 WJ engine split second cut out, never stalls

Hey Everyone,

I am having a recent issue with my 03 WJ with 4.0 motor in it and around 165k miles. It is completely stock. Lately while driving the jeep will suddenly cut out for maybe a half second at most but never stalls. It has been happening and idle all the way up to highway speeds. No check engine light or codes. It almost feels like the transmission slips but when it does cut, rpm gauge and speedometer drop fast (speedometer will drop 15mph on the gauge but only cuts out for split second so impossible for me to slow that fast). After it cuts, everything goes back to normal. It happens both with cruise on and with cruise off. If cruise control is on and it does it, it will kick off cruise and shut the light off on the dash for cruise. I am guessing that this is the ignition cutting out but have no way to tell. TPS sensor was replaced and I am suspecting the CPS but I have not changed that out. One thing to note is the battery is about 7 years old but will still start the Jeep at the -25+ mornings we have been having the past few weeks. Slow crank but starts. I doubt this is a battery issue. I have searched all over for the same symptoms on this forum as well as others but everyone else's jeep engine completely stalls and has to be restarted. The engine has never stalled once yet. Mine just cuts out for a half second and goes back to normal. Any help will be appreciated! This is driving me nuts.

Last edited by viane; 03-07-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Very similar symptom on our HellKitty ZJ. Cut out but only momentarily.
Was failing CPS.
New one in, corrected that problem.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Ok I figured as much. I ended up ordering an oem mopar sensor. Should be in stock early next week. Hope it does the trick.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:53 AM

Well I replaced the crank sensor with a mopar OEM sensor and it still does it. It kicks off cruise light when it does it with cruise on. Also at idle I will get a random idle surge. That too is split second. Any thoughts???
Old 03-18-2019, 06:57 AM

This issue may be getting slightly worse now. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 AM

In case anyone has these issues as well, I replaced the PCM and it fixed the issue. It's only been a couple days since but appears to be the fix.