Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!
View Poll Results: Will anybody solve my issue?
Yes
0%
No
0%
50/50
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

04 GC cruise control/idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default 04 GC cruise control/idle issues

04 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7

Cruise Control Issue - I've only used it 2 times and never since because I was too scared i might die. No joke. Basically, cruise control will work for a few minutes but then starts accelerating pretty rapidly (10 mph in 5 secs), hitting the brakes does not turn it off, hitting the cruise on/off button does nothing either, just stuck accelerating! Both times I ended up slamming on the brakes and finally got it down to about 5 mph and had to kill it. The whole time it was still trying to accelerate.

Idle Issue - The rpm's do not stay consistent when sitting in idle, it will ramp up sometimes and run hard and then slow down and almost die. I've actually had it die once when sitting at a red light. When I initially turn it on it tends to rev up way more than needed but then drops back down to 'normal' idle sometimes immediately or sometimes after a few minutes.

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated! I am willing to test out certain things suggested to try. I submitted it to an online mechanic site before I ran into this site and was told to "clean the throttle body air intake -- and inspect throttle blade for ease of movement then reset the computer by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes to clear the controller -- reinstall -- start and roadtest" - thoughts??
I am by no means a mechanic of any type, but would like to think I can get this solved without taking it to 5 different shops and $1k later still no answer. Please help!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

cruise control is controlled by vaccuum, so id start there.. vaccuum can cause it to idle rapidly as well. you might need a new cruise control set up. start with your vaccuum lines.