Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"WANDA" my 94 xj project

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default "WANDA" my 94 xj project

Hello everyone! I am new to this jeep deal, but so addicted already... anyway here is my jeep:

I have named her wanda;
she is a 94 2 door with 117k. she is a standard (came with a new hurst shifter installed, WOOH.
she also came with a used lift kit (uninstalled) which consists of a rubicon express 4.5" lift for the front and a rustys 4.5" leaf pack for the rear..

for 1600$ i feel like i did pretty damn good!

it had a rotted exhaust so i ordered a dynomax catback exhaust system off streetsideauto.com for 100$ and just got my 75$ rebate today 25$ exhaust wooh!

first things first, i had to do a good amount of floor patching...

after that was done, i just had to get her registered... but in the meantime i found some extras off craigslist...

i picked up some 33" km1's on some cj wheels that i just plan on scrapping (100$)... i also got a 10 ft cb whip! i dont really need it that big but for 20 bucks with the mounting spring... WHY NOT ~!?

Next on craigslist, i found a nice steel front bumper for 40 bucks! this thing is solid as hell, and even has a hitch receiver and was already rhinolined!

Tomorrow, i plan on starting to put the lift kit in.. i will have some pictures to share by tomorrow followed my complaints about rust im sure! i have been pb blasting this puppy eery other day for a month so lets hope that helped....

Last edited by tomborsari; 09-08-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 242CI 4.0L I6

Nice looking XJ, good deal on the kit too.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

let me kno with any questions i might even be able to swing by after work...did i see wanda on the road today by jiffy lube
Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Seasoned Member

yea sire, indeed u did haha she is on the road i really just need to replace the track bar and shes a solid dd, but if ima do tht, i might as well install everything else! hahaha
Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0

I had to click on this girl. Wanda is my g-ma's name. Nice finds on craigslist!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Member

So, today was definately an interesting day to say the least... i got wanda all up on jack stands in the back and started removing what was neededv(sway bar: gone, shocks: gone), i broke all of the upper shock bolts (pretty much expected that); except for one, which is not budging. i plan on taking heat to it tomorrow and seeing where that brings me, same for the front leaf bolts.... i tried to get them to loosen with a breaker bar, and impact wrench, and still no luck.. i really hope heat is going to be all i need...
while trying to loosen the upper mount, i destroyed my thumb, so we will see how that is tomorrow, andthat will determine if work shall be continued tomorrow or if a break is necessary...

heres a cuple pics of today:

Last edited by tomborsari; 09-10-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:36 PM

Engine: 4.0 i6 HO

Great start on the build! Axles?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by HockeyNTrucks
Great start on the build! Axles?
thanks man shes gettin there! its a d30 in front and 35 in the back, itll hafta do for now

and so today my thumb was feelin way beeter, so i got back to the jeep !

I started off the day by taking off the brake lines so that i could take the leafs off the axle, then i got all the U-bolts off, followed by the two shackle bolts.
i am going to stick with the stock shackles for now mainly because i don't feel like fighting with em to get em off the frame...

I started to unbolt the front leaf bolts andabout an inch out, they both stopped turning. I assume the weld nut inside the frame has broke, because if it were to be stuck in the bushing sleeve i feel like there would be more play in it...

tried heat.. nothin. Any suggestions on how to get it out? i assume, just cuttin a hole in the side of the frame...

heres some pics of today's carnage.. YES i know.. holy rust...

Old 09-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Seasoned Member

And now, i punched out the broken bolts for the shock mounts... Can someone tell me what size bolts i need in order to replace those?

also, i have a hitch receiver in the back, so i had to cut my shackle/leaf bolts. does anyone know what size bolts the shackle/leaf bolts are and what size the front leaf bolt is? (in case i break or have to cut it)
help on that would be VERY appreciated!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Try sticking a wrench in that little opening and holding it while you back the bolt out
Old 09-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Got some more Done today but today was definitely the most aggravating day I've had with my lady so far.

I had a more mechanically- knowledgeable friend stop by and he told me that both of my weld-nuts on the front leaf bolts were fine, i was just stuck on the sleeve. so from there, i tried a million different things (grinding, heating, prybar, etc...) and then i finally found a impact wrench that was strong enough to get the bolts to spin... a little switching between that and an air hammer and both bolts were out in less than a half hour.. figures ! hahah

But i am VERY happy that i don't have to do any cutting and that my weld nut is in tact..

I also managed to drop down all of my upper spring mount bolts (using mechanic wire.. i love this stuff). Grade 8 everything...

Here are some pictures of todays build!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Here is the front leaf mount.. finally free (sighs of releif)

[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x150/agalax12/0911111716.jpg[/IMG

These things right here can go die in a fiery hell! [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/User/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/User/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

my new shock bolts...

OUT with the oldd...

heres the old shocks,,... that scares me hahahahha

Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: l6 242

looks like you have one sweet deal here. looking forward to seeing how this looks in the end.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Member

FINALLY got the rear leafs in... i had to back my jeep outta the garage for the week (its my family's garage.. we own a oil company), but intend to have wanda done this coming weekend...

heres some pics of her with the lift in the rear

Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

Originally Posted by tomborsari
FINALLY got the rear leafs in... i had to back my jeep outta the garage for the week (its my family's garage.. we own a oil company), but intend to have wanda done this coming weekend...

heres some pics of her with the lift in the rear

HA HA, you should leave it like that!

Quick Reply: "WANDA" my 94 xj project