Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Street Sweeper - 2wd V8 MJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.8
Default Project Street Sweeper - 2wd V8 MJ

I've been looking for a daily driver for the past month and kept running across this ad on CL for an '87 mj. It was an unfinished project, guy ran out of money/interest, and just wanted his garage space back. Well, perfect I thought! Who needs a daily driver when I can have yet another non-running Jeep hanging around?!? Win-win baby! So after a bit of haggling, home she comes.

I'll post some more pictures later today of the finer details and future build plans. All I can say is that I'm super stoked to own a short bed mj.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

Looks nice and clean. 2wd V8 seems like a lot of power to the rear.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

Originally Posted by rmoore1031
people run 350's in s10's all day long, heck even I have a 88 single cab short bed 2wd s10 that is going to get a 350/400 swapped in. So why not in a MJ?

Looks like a awesome project, looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM

To find an Illinois truck with this kind of body is hard. Floors had been patched, but it's solid otherwise. See pics for dealing with the rear axle.

Originally Posted by crdude
people run 350's in s10's all day long, heck even I have a 88 single cab short bed 2wd s10 that is going to get a 350/400 swapped in. So why not in a MJ?

Looks like a awesome project, looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Thanks! I look forward to getting this **** together and down the road.

The motor is a four bolt SBC 350, slightly warmed over with a lumpy cam. In my opinion the motor is a bit over cammed and over carbed, but easily dealt with. I have a built 350 running 11:1 compression that I may drop in instead. The little Edelbrock fire starter filter will also be ditched.

Exhaust manifold clearance is good on the drivers side

The passenger side isn't. I have some old rams horns laying around though, so I should be able to find something that fits a little better.

When I first went to look at the truck I was expecting hacked up motor mounts, nope, looks like Novak stuff.

Pan clearance is a little iffy for the crappy roads in town. I don't think the p.o. minded since he was building it for the strip.

The sbc is mated to a 700r4. The p.o. used the stock trans xmember and modified it.

The p.o. also swapped an 8.8 in, 4.10 geared with a mini spool. I'm not sold on the aluminum lowering blocks, but I like the stance. I'm going to try building a flatter set of leaf packs and use a smaller block if needed.

The baby blue interior must go. I can't even imagine this was cool in '87.

S10 roll pan in the back. Not perfect, but not so old man.

As much as I'd like to lift it and convert it over to 4wd, I'm leaving it low and 2wd. Everything I own is 4wd and I'd like a fun toy to drive to cruise nights during the summer. Soooo, a generic list of crap that I can think of off the top of my head (I'm sure there will be surprises along the way).

-PS exhaust manifold
-Exhaust
-Fuel cell
-Fuel lines
-Brake lines
-Heater hoses
-Radiator
-Electric fans
-Floor shifter
-Throttle cable
-Trans lines
-Gauges
-Slapper bars
-Leaf packs
-Slip yoke
-Go over the wiring and simplify as needed
-Fit and finish
-Interior upgrades

Basically, there's still a lot to get done, but I'm looking forward to the end results!

Last edited by emptypockets; 03-12-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

im definatly sub'd to this one
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 PM

Year: 1995

that is F**KING badass!! usually dont follow builds very closely, but i will be all over this one!!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 PM

Thanks guys.

Not much into any actual doing yet, as I'm still gathering parts for the project. Ironed out my radiator situation and hopefully I'll be picking it up either Friday or next week from Lefthander Chassis. Going with a 19"x22" Afco radiator and an electric puller/pusher setup.

Exploder ds and u-joint. I'm mating this with a Roadtoaster slip yoke. Should have this done tonight.

B&M Megashifter out of my old Dodge pickup.

Sitting in the Jeep.

I'm thinking buckets and a black interior.

And to close, a couple of 2wd MJ pics

MJ Street Truck

SCCA MJ Racetruck
Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

I'm loving it already, so jealous. I've been wanting to find a shortbed to do this to as well
Old 03-14-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998, 1993
Engine: 4.0

lol nice when did you pick this up? I was considering buying that thing! but way to much time involved for what I would have done with it.

where are you located? Im out in boone county near the stateline about 8miles from south beloit
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by emptypockets
And to close, a couple of 2wd MJ pics

MJ Street Truck

you know, i generally hate body kits with a burning passion, but that truck pulls it off really nice! wouldnt have picked those wheels though...
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by dnuccio
you know, i generally hate body kits with a burning passion, but that truck pulls it off really nice! wouldnt have picked those wheels though...
I generaly hate lowered truck but the small ones can pullit off. I'm really diggin the street mj
Old 03-15-2013, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
I'm loving it already, so jealous. I've been wanting to find a shortbed to do this to as well
Thanks man. Yeah, I've been looking for a nice one to pop up, but they're always rust buckets. Surprised I actually found one in the Midwest in this condition.

Originally Posted by 98REDXJ2
lol nice when did you pick this up? I was considering buying that thing! but way to much time involved for what I would have done with it.

where are you located? Im out in boone county near the stateline about 8miles from south beloit
Got it last weekend. He had it listed for a while, I kept looking at it online, even emailed him earlier about it, but didn't bite. My buddy kept texting me to grab it and so I finally went to look at it... and you all know the rest.

I'm on the Rockford/Winnebago line.

Originally Posted by dnuccio
Originally Posted by cleenrob
I generaly hate lowered truck but the small ones can pullit off. I'm really diggin the street mj
I wish I could come across one of those Street Truck edition trucks. Not sure how many are actually still alive.

So onto tonight's cluster ****. Let's just say a Roadtoaster slip yoke is NOT a good option. After two lengthy visits to the parts house, lots of measuring, and scouring over the Precision book... I went with an easier option, a TH350 slip yoke out of a '69 Chevy. No conversion joint and the same u-joint size at each end.

TH350 on the left and the 700r4 on the right.

So tomorrow, the drive shaft will be done. Gotta expect more of these situations will follow.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

looks good so far!
Old 03-15-2013, 01:36 PM

My neighbor has an s10 with a 350 small block twin turbo and it roasts all 3 gears
Old 03-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by x91evo
looks good so far!
Thanks!

Picked up the new radiator today from Lefthander in Roscoe. They're nice guys over there, so check them out online some time. Most of their stuff is for roundy track, but you can still find useful items there.

I always feel like a kid at Christmas when I get something new.

Hopefully I'll have the radiator mounted up or at least decently mocked up this weekend. Working on the drive shaft later tonight.

Last edited by emptypockets; 03-16-2013 at 01:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Project Street Sweeper - 2wd V8 MJ