Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep Newbie!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default Jeep Newbie!!!

So I just bought an 86 XJ 2.5 liter with the clear coat already buffed out and ready for paint ( for $500 bucks btw) oh yeah (and 239,000 miles). There's a dent in the drivers door and a crack in the rear hatch but some parts off of craigslist should take care of those. Priority is the paint job. I'm looking at rattle cans. Flat color. Camouflage for my alaskan heritage. I always drove subaru's and totalled an acura integra here in oregon so jeep was my first and only choice. Any advice or patterns for this paint job are welcome and I caught a thread on using bedliner paint for much of it. Another question is what to do about the headliner. It doesn't have one and the carpets are crap also. Maybe pull the foam and carpets and use the bedliner paint on them also. Only concern is my lab getting a grip when he jumps his fat *** up into it. Will be putting up pics when we get some daylight for me to take some.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L

where are you in oregon? mne is bedlined on the inside and with a dog its awesome. the head liner, just take it out. take a box cutter and cut down the middle trying not to hit the roof then make some lateral cuts, one at the front dome, one in the middle, and one in back. the dome lights are connected to cross members in the roof so dont rip them off. sounds like if youre going to do a paint job for first priority you should fix the dents and crack first. you could rhino line the exterior, but any mud you got on there would pretty much permanently be there.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:43 AM

Yah I agree on the body work first. I have a line on $25.00 body parts on C List. Just got to get some primer on it or somethin cause spots they sanded down to metal are showing hints (HINTS THANK GOODNESS) of rust. It's like walking my dog first thing in the morning. He can't decide whether to crap or **** first
Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 High Outout I6

Welcome I am somewhat new here and i too am in miwaukie! i do not recommend bedlining the exterior but inside go for it.... only reason i say dont do the outside is cuz i knew a guy that did it and it was freakin hot in there all summer long. as for headliner i say who needs em lol but there are plenty of threads here about em
Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

whats up yall i'm in gresham also new to the forum... we should crew up some time and do some jeep'n .... i know some good trails up out of sandy ....

p.s i have a buddy that is parting out a jeep on cl he lives in sandy and his name is josh
Old 01-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by davirbaked
whats up yall i'm in gresham also new to the forum... we should crew up some time and do some jeep'n .... i know some good trails up out of sandy ....

p.s i have a buddy that is parting out a jeep on cl he lives in sandy and his name is josh
where you at in g town? thats where i just moved from lol
Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 Sport

Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Seasoned Member

yeah i wanna see some pics too! oh and beware there is a jeep killer on the loose in milwaukie.... he got mine last night... took my stereo my gps and jacked up my ign. switch
Old 01-09-2010, 12:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L

Originally Posted by davirbaked

gresham!!! rite on im arround portland
Old 01-17-2010, 04:45 AM

I'm in Milwaukie, or and guess what. I've owned it 10 days and the engines seized and the ******* that sold it to me won't give me the title. Basically I'm Scre**d!!! All I want is another one and now I can't even scrap this one. And there don't seem to be any 2.5 motors on C list for free or cheaper. Just the 4.0's that won't bolt up to my tranny. My fingers are like sex cause everything I touched gets f**ked. ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah. We had to tow it from mile 18 of dickie prairie back into town with our bronco2 and basically killed the motor in it also. The motor gods hate me.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 2.8

why wont he give you the title?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 2.8

o yah, there is a law protecting you in this situation. he HAS to provide a title within a certain number of days, or he gets in trouble. if i'm not mistaken, it is a felony....
Old 01-17-2010, 02:36 PM

Year: 1988

if it aint in your name tow it somewhere so it will get all kinds of tickets, that will teach him! lol
Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM

Well I tried to bring the law into this one to return the xj or get my money back and apparently they don't care that people are selling cars they don't actually own. I'm on the bus (can you belive it the f***ing bus!!!!!) with it sitting in my carport. We are going to make the effort to fix it. It's a random hope that the main bolt on the motor won't turn because the starter is caught up on the flywheel or some ****. And this kid I bought it from keeps swearing he is going to get a title for it. My final option apparently is to let a tow company lein it for 30 days and then buy it back from them. Still keeping my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that this sale becomes legal. To the one that said the seller has a certain number of days to produce the title, do you know how many days it actually is?

Peace out mah wheelers

What I really want to do................................................ .............................Tow it into his front yard and light it on fire!!!!