Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grandpa's Work Truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Grandpa's Work Truck

Well I acquired my 1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2wd from my grandma. She gave it to me when my grandpa died this year. It was his work truck. He was a painter so the interior and exterior has paint splatters and was very beat up. The drivers seat was broken, no back of the bench seat, missing headliner, missing center armrest, no a/c, would start, broken taillight, no radio, and a bunch of missing trim pieces. The junkyard became my best friend. The first thing I did was to get it running. All I did was replace the ignition coil and did a tune up. Started right up. After that I fixed the A/C and tried my best to catch up on the maintenance. Than I went to the junkyard. Picked up all the pieces that were missing, broken or worn. I wound up spend almost $130.00 in parts. It was a great day. Once everything was back to factory and working the fun began. First thing I did was I lifted my XJ. I bought the 4.5" Rough Country lift kit. I also acquired and set of BFG 35" A/T tires and bought some Crager Soft 8's. After installing of course I had to trim the fenders. After I finished this is what she looked like.

I wasn't that happy with the way it looked. The back sagged a little. Next upgrade I did was I added a 5" motorized screen dvd/cd player. Next thing I did was I redid the dash and control with toggle switches. Looks great. I unfortunately don't have any pictures. Next thing I did was replaced the headliner with black vinyl. I wanted black vinyl so its easy to clean mud off.

After driving it I quickly realized I needed a track bar and needed to fix my suspension. So I bought a used Rusty's Offroad track bar and mount and replaced the upper and lower ball joints and all the tie rod ends. It felt some much better driving. Now there was another problem. Unfortunately my XJ was a 2WD. I didn't want to sell it and get a 4WD cause it was grandpa's so I had to convert. It toke me 2 months to locate all the parts. While I was looked for parts for the 4WD parts I added some Hella500 driving lights and lifted it 2 more inch's to level the back out. I bought 1.75" RE spacers for the front and 2" RC shackles in the back. It leveled out perfect. I also needed to extend my brake line with steel braided line and I also needed a drop pitman arm. After tracking down and buying all my 4WD parts I started with the conventions. First I started with replacing the front axle. I cleaned it up, added new bushing, and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Then I mounted it. After installing it this is what it looks like.

The next week I started working on the transmission and transfer case. After matting the transfer case and figuring out how to wiring the darn thing she is ready to go in.

Removing the old transmission was easy. Installing the old transmission was kind of a pain. I was by myself so it wasn't easy.

After everything installed minus drive shafts. I need to rebuild the drive shaft with HD U-joints. Next I installed a PORC HD SYE kit. After installing it I finally toke it for a drive. EUREKA! It works great. Here is the final look.

There is plenty more to come. So keep checking back for updates.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Awesome. In that last pic is the transfer case bolted to anything?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 PM

No. The transfer case wasnt in yet.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Member

sweet i need to do this sometime for mine nice pics
Old 10-01-2008, 07:34 AM

Year: 1994

nice rig man, i like it and i also like that hydraulic lfit you got on your driveway!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Good job JC. Very nice pics too.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jcherokee94
nice rig man, i like it and i also like that hydraulic lfit you got on your driveway!
oh hell yeah how awesome would that be. Only problem would be mooch friends
Old 10-01-2008, 09:15 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

hehe yeah I got a friend who has a shop and has a lift I have used it a couple times when I needed to do some work that was a major pain laying down..He doesn't mind as long as it's not every weekend..lol Plus he has every tool known to man.. When I get ready to replace axle ujoints, wheel bearing/hubs assemblies and ball joints I am going to his house and at that time double check my track bar alignment..lol
Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
hehe yeah I got a friend who has a shop and has a lift I have used it a couple times when I needed to do some work that was a major pain laying down..He doesn't mind as long as it's not every weekend..lol Plus he has every tool known to man.. When I get ready to replace axle ujoints, wheel bearing/hubs assemblies and ball joints I am going to his house and at that time double check my track bar alignment..lol
Thanks guys. Ya the lift can be expensive to maintain. Being outside the cylinders rust and pit quickly. I already had to replace them once already.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

that hydro lift is hands down the coolest more BA garage mod ever..
Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 PM

Year: 2000

Really like the finished look of the jeep. I think I'll be getting a rough country lift soon..
Old 10-01-2008, 06:52 PM

Im still have to paint it white with black spray in bedliner.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 PM

This past weekend I added my PORC HD SYE. It was so easy. I didnt even need instructions. LOL!

Tomorrow hopefully I will get to put on my Rocky Road control arm drop brackets. I will take pictures to show.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:58 PM

Wow! pretty nice development with your project man...
So far so good...
Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by CRoading
Wow! pretty nice development with your project man...
So far so good...
Boy am I glad the 4wd convertion is over. I a headache. Now its all working good

Quick Reply: Grandpa's Work Truck