Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 xj 3 inch lift project, i need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 98 xj 3 inch lift project, i need your help!

Well I just joined this forum because Im not exactly sure what I need to get for my xj. All ive decided is that I want to do either a 2" to 3" lift with about 30" tires. Ive seen some posts on rough country suspension systems and ill probably end up getting that. But what other things am I going to have to get, brake lines, control arms, steering stabilizer, ect.

And with the tire, Im lost, I have no idea what width the tires should be nor the wheels. Keep in mind this is a DD and im on a budget at the moment of about 2k to 2500 so I want it cheap but I dont want to sacrafice quailty.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Please use the search feature. This subject has been covered numerous times. There's a thread dedicated to it already.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Please use the search feature. This subject has been covered numerous times. There's a thread dedicated to it already.
you wont need anything and people on this forum are lazy. you act like you were never new. any way with a 2-3 lift and 30 inch tires you well need nothing the but lift kit and tires it self. go with the rough country lift kit its a good start base. wow i wasted 30 seconds to write that in which frank could of done the time. this site has turned into naxja pretty sad. and its funny cause most people who come here are people treated like **** on naxja.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

yeah you wont need anything like snowboard said, you can buy a steering stabalizer to help with the "slightly larger tires" but its not neccesary and dang you've got 2k bucks to spend? i wish i had that much, you can do ALOT!!!! with that much money to spend
Old 09-06-2009, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by soad98xj
Well I just joined this forum because Im not exactly sure what I need to get for my xj. All ive decided is that I want to do either a 2" to 3" lift with about 30" tires. Ive seen some posts on rough country suspension systems and ill probably end up getting that. But what other things am I going to have to get, brake lines, control arms, steering stabilizer, ect.

And with the tire, Im lost, I have no idea what width the tires should be nor the wheels. Keep in mind this is a DD and im on a budget at the moment of about 2k to 2500 so I want it cheap but I dont want to sacrafice quailty.
The thing about XJs is that the first three inches of lift are relatively cheap. After that, yo have to start buying new hardware to go with it. 30" tires will work without a lift if you are using stock wheels. When the tires are stuffed in the back, they will go inside the flares if you don't go any wider than 10.5". If you get aftermarket wheels then the tires will be moved out a couple of inches minimum due to a change in wheel back spacing. Then I would recommend going with the 3" suspension. You will have to lower your rear bump stops also to keep your new tires out of the fender flare. This is easily done for about $2.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by snowboard3r411
you wont need anything and people on this forum are lazy. you act like you were never new. any way with a 2-3 lift and 30 inch tires you well need nothing the but lift kit and tires it self. go with the rough country lift kit its a good start base. wow i wasted 30 seconds to write that in which frank could of done the time. this site has turned into naxja pretty sad. and its funny cause most people who come here are people treated like **** on naxja.
And this took all of 10 seconds.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/search...earchid=422807

Better have a look at some of my posts before you start throwing the word lazy around.

BTW, Yes I did learn to use the search function after being asked politely to do so.

I guess this can't be posted enough:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old 11-26-2009, 10:12 PM

Year: 87
Engine: 4.3 vortec

well heres my $0.02. I dont know where you live but hit the swap meets, look on craigslist. spend the time fine the best deals. i bilt my holl jeep for $900. im not done but, Im doing more then just a lift "tack a look"
for tires i like this set up Super Swamper TSL Bogger for the back and tsl sx for the steers, just what Im looking to run. the boggers are good for mud, rock and sand but douse not like siding a hill thats where your tsl sx come in handy in the front. my friend runs this, he cant be stoped. the negative to these tires is the sound, but i like that.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by snowboard3r411
Really. LIKE REALLY?! There's no need for you to be a douche. Like Frank said, its been answered multiple times. It'll save everyone a huge amount of hassle if ppl would just use the search function before starting a thread about every little thing that has been answered 50 times over. It gets really monotonous answering the same questions over and over. Thus the search bar. Frank is anything but lazy.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Whoa Fellas!!

This thread is a few months old................