Va. Trails and holes.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Va. Trails and holes.

We need a topic so we know where some trails are.

There is one by my house that is very small but has some deep holes called Giles Bottom. Located Pittsville, Va.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.7

All I know of is George Washington National Forrest in Harrisonburg. Everywhere else around me is not legal.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

In my area of W.V. (parkersburg) about every 2 miles there is a dirt road, take your pic. Some are real bad and some are worse, those are the jeep trailsssss.....
Old 10-08-2008, 01:21 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I live in south-western Virginia (Wise County) and there are seemingly ENDLESS trails here. Mostly Jeep trails. I've had my XJ down many-a ATV trails (once to pull out a Suzuki Sidekick that had slid over an embankment).

One of the more notable ones is a trail leading to what is called "Huff Rock" near the Big Cherry Reservoir.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

Around the Roanoke area we have Poor mountain, Bobcat, Potts mountain, Suck mountain. The only one I have been on is Poor mt. which is mostly gravel road with some mud holes. Places around here are getting harder to find.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by Southern96xj
I live in south-western Virginia (Wise County) and there are seemingly ENDLESS trails here. Mostly Jeep trails. I've had my XJ down many-a ATV trails (once to pull out a Suzuki Sidekick that had slid over an embankment).

One of the more notable ones is a trail leading to what is called "Huff Rock" near the Big Cherry Reservoir.
There used to be a lot of trails over in the Big Stone Gap area that were back roads to mines and such. Many may have been closed by now though.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:10 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
There used to be a lot of trails over in the Big Stone Gap area that were back roads to mines and such. Many may have been closed by now though.
There's still a few left in Big Stone Gap that are not gated. The trail leading to Huff Rock is only gated at one spot, but a friend of mine has a key (related to the property owner) to the gate. There are other entrances, but the trail from the gate is for more experienced trail riders (it can get a bit tricky half way up).

I live in Norton, there are plenty of mud bogs, Jeep trails, old abandoned mine roads and working mining roads to explore. The working roads aren't gated, but it would be advisable to have a CB radio so you'll know if heavy equipment is coming around one of the steep blind curves.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by Southern96xj
There's still a few left in Big Stone Gap that are not gated. The trail leading to Huff Rock is only gated at one spot, but a friend of mine has a key (related to the property owner) to the gate. There are other entrances, but the trail from the gate is for more experienced trail riders (it can get a bit tricky half way up).

I live in Norton, there are plenty of mud bogs, Jeep trails, old abandoned mine roads and working mining roads to explore. The working roads aren't gated, but it would be advisable to have a CB radio so you'll know if heavy equipment is coming around one of the steep blind curves.
Been about 10-15 years ago I worked at the Hospital there in BSG for the summer. Had my Jeep and explored every weekend. Befriended a guy that had lived there all his life and he told me about many places to drive. They weren't so cautious about trails back then.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 PM

Year: 98

The run from Union Springs, up through flagpole ****...headin towards Reddish **** on the GW in Rockingham county has a pretty good climb or 2. seems 2 get a lil more challenging each year!!! mountain erosion at it's finest!!! I trap coyotes & bobcats up through there in the winter..
Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Crozet, Va is located near Charlottesville. Rocks, Mud, lots of different obsticals. There are tons of videos on Youtube. Check it out.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

id be interested in hearing more about GWNF
Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

double post

Last edited by paroxysym; 11-11-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

a lot of gwnf is stocker friendly. theres a few obstacles but for the most part all of it is easy. the most challenging thing in gw is dictum, and thats not even that bad. gwnf is just fun for playin around and gettin muddy. i know of another park somewhere near like winchester but im not sure what its called. flagpole is an easy trail, salt shack is quite rutted out.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:07 PM

Year: 98

I agree...most of GWNF is very stocker friendly....many trail rides offer great views especially once the leaves are gone....you can easily load the grill and a cooler fulla steaks and suds and have a cookout in many places.
Every now and then as you ride....you'll come across something to add a little excitement to your trip....mostly a steep hill to climb....
I've watched rock enthusiasts drive up the dry streambeds during the summer when the water is gone, and they seem to have a great time...again, searching out thier own challenging situations...and enjoying them.
Guess it all depends on what you want out of your trip....
I'd have to say that the best off road adventure I've personally experienced in the Rockingham/Augusta county area was a trail that crossed dry river and went up in and above dry run dam, first time I ever crawled rocks...in my tacoma.
Was a cool trip....not too difficult.....but the city of harrisonburg in thier ignorant wisdom decided to pull the gate shut....and put the screws to countless numbers of people who enjoyed that area....and we DID tread lightly there.
Year after year....here in the east we keep loosing valuable recreational offroading land to the govornment's ignorance.
Hell, it's hard to find a place to park on Tighlamann road anymore since the National forest people drug the dirtmounds to the side of the road.....
Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

here's a few pics

view from almost the top of flagpole, and a random XJ that was there.

infamous mud hole

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Va. Trails and holes.