Mid Atlantic West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina

VA Beach visitor, need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91
Model: Cherokee
Default VA Beach visitor, need some help.

Hello,

Me and my little family came down here to Virginia Beach for vacation. Staying oceanfront. I enjoyed my weekend but now I have an issue to address.

On the way down here I had some issues with my 99 XJ. It ran great for the most part but my temperature kept spiking like it was overheating and then dropping quickly after pulling over.

I did some research and I believe my issue is the trans heating up on the steeper inclines through the mountains. I don't think it was a problem on our past visits because my XJ wasn't lifted and had stock tires. Now I'm lofted a little and have bigger tires I think my trans feels the burn lol.

I DO have a trans cooler however (and here's the real problem) when I mounted it I thought it'd be cool to put it behind the front bumper and cut a hole in the bumper to make it more custom. Well... I never got around to that. It never was an issue when I was in flat old Indiana.

So I'm hoping someone close to the VA Beach area could help me out. I have some tools, but possibly not enough. I may need to drill a couple holes to mount the cooler. I don't have a drill. I also just need a space to work. Since the hotel doesn't want me to do it in the parking lot.

So if anyone from CF could lend a hand I'd buy us some food or beers or something. I'd be soooo thankful. It would make my trip home a much easier one.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by DieselD
Hello,

Me and my little family came down here to Virginia Beach for vacation. Staying oceanfront. I enjoyed my weekend but now I have an issue to address.

On the way down here I had some issues with my 99 XJ. It ran great for the most part but my temperature kept spiking like it was overheating and then dropping quickly after pulling over.

I did some research and I believe my issue is the trans heating up on the steeper inclines through the mountains. I don't think it was a problem on our past visits because my XJ wasn't lifted and had stock tires. Now I'm lofted a little and have bigger tires I think my trans feels the burn lol.

I DO have a trans cooler however (and here's the real problem) when I mounted it I thought it'd be cool to put it behind the front bumper and cut a hole in the bumper to make it more custom. Well... I never got around to that. It never was an issue when I was in flat old Indiana.

So I'm hoping someone close to the VA Beach area could help me out. I have some tools, but possibly not enough. I may need to drill a couple holes to mount the cooler. I don't have a drill. I also just need a space to work. Since the hotel doesn't want me to do it in the parking lot.

So if anyone from CF could lend a hand I'd buy us some food or beers or something. I'd be soooo thankful. It would make my trip home a much easier one.

Thanks guys.

I just moved here & can help. It doesn't sound like ur tranny is overheating cause ur temp guage is for the motor. XJs are notorious for running hot & it could be several things. First check all ur fluid levels & do an oil change if its due & flush the radiator/core out & put new antifreeze in. Then change ur thermostat & inspect all hoses. If the problems exist past this, u may need a new radiator or pump which gives u the opportunity to upgrade them!

I to need to get & install a tranny cooler & guage since its much hotter down here then NY where I moved from, lol.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Oh it's definitely the trans getting hot.

The entire cooling system was done about a year ago, new thermostat about 3 months ago, new rad cap and a flush and fill right before we left to VA Beach.

The trans fluid is ran through a regulator inside he driver side of the radiators tank. It helps cool if it gets too hot and heats it up faster in the winter (supposedly). That's why the trans getting hot reads on the coolant temp gauge. It spikes and cools fast because the TC gets super hot going up the hills then when it unlocks it dumps all the hot trans fluid back into the system and heats up the coolant.

I was able to keep it from spiking by shifting down to 3rd on the shifter, running the heat at full blast and not maintaining 65+ up the hills.

Once the terrain leveled out and it got cooler outside I didn't have any issues with it.

I think placing my trans cooler back into a proper spot would solve this. Or at least keep my trans A LOT happier. I just need a place to do it down here. Lol.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:27 PM

How much longer are you down here for & when do u plan to drive back home?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

We check out the 12th we'll be leaving that morning. Probably before noon.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Bump for the night crowd.

Just a note to add, I don't need someone to do this for me. Rather just a place to do it, maybe a few tools like a drill and drill bits. I should have everything else I need in my tool bag.

If I can't get it done at least the weather is looking cooler for our ride home. Lol
Old 09-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Greetings DieselD,
On the uphill the torque converter likes to slip due to the larger tires. This is likely what spikes the temp. Trying to run 65mph uphill will severely aggravate it.
To make it home as-is, shift into '3' when going up a grade and keep it below 55 mph.
Can you just move the cooler to in front of the radiator to get you home?

I am 2 hours south of Virginia Beach.

Try posting here, the local guys may not see this new thread.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f42/ti...3001/index133/
Old 09-09-2014, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Norfolk, I may be able to help out. Unfortunately we'd have to work out in the rain, since my garage is currently occupied with what will someday be my '00 XJ.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Greetings DieselD,
On the uphill the torque converter likes to slip due to the larger tires. This is likely what spikes the temp. Trying to run 65mph uphill will severely aggravate it.
To make it home as-is, shift into '3' when going up a grade and keep it below 55 mph.
Can you just move the cooler to in front of the radiator to get you home?

I am 2 hours south of Virginia Beach.

Try posting here, the local guys may not see this new thread.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f42/ti...3001/index133/

Yea, shifting into third and taking it easy was how I got here lol. After pulling over the first time I googled some stuff and forgot about the whole shifting it thing. Duh, my dad told me that the first time we came out here.

I do believe moving the cooler to the proper position would help me a lot. I could probably make it home as is but I don't know if the trans would be happy when I got home.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by navysrt8
I'm in Norfolk, I may be able to help out. Unfortunately we'd have to work out in the rain, since my garage is currently occupied with what will someday be my '00 XJ.
As long as it isn't rain like yesterday. That was a an downpour. Lol. First time in a long time I had to put my wipers on hi.

Where at in Norfolk? I don't mind some rain honestly. Shoot me a text or something if you're free today.

I appreciate all the help for an out-of-towner. Thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Could I even get down there today? Just seen a bunch of road closures on the news.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in Va Bch as well. I can help you out tonight or Thursday after 5 if you want. Just let me know via PM. We can just use my driveway. Also, I would recommend placing the trans cooler in front of the radiator. Lots of airflow there. Plus, you don't have to do any drilling just a get 4 of the strip fasteners that go between the radiator fins to mount it.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:23 PM

I cant help today since I rented a cargo van to move stuff to storage & pick up our new couch, but we may be able to do it tomorrow, just not sure on what time. And yes I have my own driveway. Do u have the fasteners/hardware, & do u still need to hook up the temp guage?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Went to No rdplz's place and got it done, thanks again man.

Me and the old lady are talking about whether we'll go down to Corolla tomorrow or not. Lol.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by DieselD
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Went to No rdplz's place and got it done, thanks again man.

Me and the old lady are talking about whether we'll go down to Corolla tomorrow or not. Lol.
Do it, you can drive the beach and see horses. Also can access the south end of False Cape State Park (foot or bike travel).
At the end of Carolla the pavement ends and HWY 12 is on the beach for 12 miles to the VA line and passes the villages of Swan Beach and Carova.

Quick Reply: VA Beach visitor, need some help.