Mid Atlantic West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina

thinking of selling the xj (roanoke)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default thinking of selling the xj (roanoke)

thinking i wanna try and sell my XJ and get a Cj7 or something along those lines. im not dead set yet, but its definatly pondering the idea. i like the idea of the old, solid jeep, esspecially with a V8. but then again i love the reliablitly of my xj, and the good heat during the winter, and good ac during the days its too hot to have the windows down, or doors off...but i love the cj cause top off, doors of. riding to the lake, that kinda stuff..still not sure. anyone wanna try to convince me othereise. haha or....i might just get flammed for this
Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Honestly, it really comes down to what you want. I've considered getting rid of mine for an LJ, but then I just can't see it happening. Too much I've done to it, like it too much, etc, etc. The outcome is always the same - there's no way I'll get of my XJ. I know this, even when those thoughts of, "I'd enjoy driving _______ (enter vehicle here)", and that's why I don't think I'll ever actually part with it. The point of this is that you're probably not gonna do it. You want no doors and the wind in your hair? Go doorless, build an interior cage, and then make a panoramic sunroof on the XJ. That's the route I'm going, starting with doorless tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by dylanXJ99
thinking i wanna try and sell my XJ and get a Cj7 or something along those lines. im not dead set yet, but its definatly pondering the idea. i like the idea of the old, solid jeep, esspecially with a V8. but then again i love the reliablitly of my xj, and the good heat during the winter, and good ac during the days its too hot to have the windows down, or doors off...but i love the cj cause top off, doors of. riding to the lake, that kinda stuff..still not sure. anyone wanna try to convince me othereise. haha or....i might just get flammed for this
Yep CJ's are cool but they are overpriced and getting rare. I went from a SBC powered CJ-5 to to a XJ and I will never go back. And I hate wranglers, friggin barbie Jeeps.

My CJ, I bought it in 96 for 2k, dropped the SBC in it, drove/wheeled it for 10 years, sold it for 7k

And I'll add, carbs/manual shifts suck when running rock.

Name:  more283.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  190.2 KB
Name:  my72cj-5.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  201.9 KB

Stick with XJ's, take the doors off, beat the hell out of it, throw it away, get another one, repeat.......
Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 PM

very true..i love my auto when it comes to wheeling. im still stock height, but i dog the crapp outa my stocker. and push it to its limits...im already doorless too...so i think within the matter of 2 posts, im already swinging back twoards sticking with the xj...haha
Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 PM

but another think it it seems like the only thing i ever do in my jeep is just flat trails with water crossings, or mudd wholes. which i hate mud, but its like i cant resist it. so i think the cj would be good for that...but also then again, i dream of 1 day having my xj lifted and slight armor, and hitting potts, but im still to small for that, my rockers are already dented with the little big of wheeling i do, do
Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 PM

A stock XJ can run Potts, if you do not care about the body and you know how to pick good lines and have a good spotter. You need to run the trail with someone who knows it well.

I do recommend skid plates to protect the tank/T-case and front/rear recovery points. You will not make it through the bypass on Potts without winching in a stock rig. The rocks are too big and the trail is too dug out. You have to have something solid to hook a cable too. A flying winch cable is a bad thing.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Like trailrider said, you can run Potts, you just need some armor, a good spotter, and know your lines. The bypass will require help trying to run it stock, but that's part of all the fun.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:24 AM

I'm headed to Potts today to guide a group from somewhere in the eastern part of VA. Should be fun with the wet weather.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 AM

Year: 97
Engine: I6 4.0

I actually did get rid of my xj nd my dad took it off my hands untill he gave it back wen i drove it off cliff...well the moral of this story is u can nvr really get rid of ur xj no matter how hard u try
Nd my math teacher was frm roanoke too, really chill lady probly the best teacher ive evr had
Old 07-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by no rdplz
Honestly, it really comes down to what you want. I've considered getting rid of mine for an LJ, but then I just can't see it happening. Too much I've done to it, like it too much, etc, etc. The outcome is always the same - there's no way I'll get of my XJ. I know this, even when those thoughts of, "I'd enjoy driving _______ (enter vehicle here)", and that's why I don't think I'll ever actually part with it. The point of this is that you're probably not gonna do it. You want no doors and the wind in your hair? Go doorless, build an interior cage, and then make a panoramic sunroof on the XJ. That's the route I'm going, starting with doorless tomorrow.
Haha Ive been pondering getting a LJ myself! They're just so expensive.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Shoot. I'm sure the LJ's are expensive. Around me, a clapped out rusty cj, people are asking an arm and a leg for.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Year: 1992

Shoot. I'm sure the LJ's are expensive. Around me, a clapped out rusty cj, people are asking an arm and a leg for.
Welcome to roanoke.

You have to bring into factor the age of a cj here too.Will it be your dd?Would you take it on a trip?Older vehicles will 99% of the time have more problems then a newer one.

Also,you can pretty well go to any jy in roanoke and get xj parts,you can't hardly do the same for a cj.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:46 PM

LOL on the roanoke comment, cause its true.....Yup on the DD that's why I wasn't to confident of the cj reliability. And zjjerk, are the any junkyards that have xj parts around around Roanoke, botetourt, salem, Bedford. Areas that you know about. I'm always lookin for deals on parts.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:35 PM

Year: 1992

LOL on the roanoke comment, cause its true.....Yup on the DD that's why I wasn't to confident of the cj reliability. And zjjerk, are the any junkyards that have xj parts around around Roanoke, botetourt, salem, Bedford. Areas that you know about. I'm always lookin for deals on parts.
If you have another dd,cj's are cool.If not i'd stick with the xj and dd/wheel/build it.

As for the jy thing,every junkyard i've been in (parts unlimited,star city, a g's,all had more then a few xj's.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 PM

Gotcha...I've never really looked into junkyards around here so i didn't know. I just have a friend who dad owns a junk yard and they ain't got crap for jeeps

Quick Reply: thinking of selling the xj (roanoke)