Mid Atlantic West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina

Cunningham's Pick and Pull Lynchburg

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cunningham's Pick and Pull Lynchburg

Anyone ever used this place? I've never been there and don't know how the process works or how pricing is figured. It's an hour away so I'd like to be prepared before I go.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 i6

most pull-a-parts, pick and pull's, and u-pull it's, you pay to get into the yard, use your own tools, and pull your own stuff. I've noticed almost all of the self service junkyards have engine hoists, wheelbarrows, and other forms of hauling and pulling things. there really isn't a whole lot to them. they usually have a price list out where you pay to enter the yard, along with a yard map. like I said, there isn't a whole lot to them. just make sure you take all the tools you'll think you need, and then some. somehow I always end up a tool or two short.. which in that case I find a kind individual who has it and lets me borrow it.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Ok, so it's not based on weight or anything I guess? Im loooking for ZJ stuff for my XJ, maybe an extra trans pan so I can weld in a temp sending unit... small stuff like that.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:02 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 i6

I've only been to one place that was based on weight. it was a recycling place though. I highly doubt they'll charge by weight. it should be by part.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 PM

Chad, I go there all the time. they have their prices posted for most things. I have found that those prices are negotiable. Point out things that you may need to fix or flaws etc.

I found a XJ push-bar there. It was rusty but I knew someone who needed it and i picked it off the XJ. When I got to the window the guy wanted $50, I was able to get him down to half that by negotiating in a respectful way. If you don't like the price just sit it aside and pay for what you do want.

Take a tool box with you but be prepared they will look your box over inside and out going both ways.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Gotcha! Thanks Jon.

Been fighting overheating engines and transmissions lately. Finally got it all straightened out. My Peterbilt was a LOT easier to diagnose than the XJ. lol
Old 06-01-2012, 10:29 PM

Chad, the Jeeps are in the "mopar" section. All the way to the back of the lot and on the right.

If you see a Comanche with a good rust/dent free short bed let me know. I need a bed for the rolled MJ.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:50 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I've been there a few times myself. mostly gotten small stuff, and I swear I've never been out of there for much over $50 too. Never seen an mj there, mostly minivans with a few trucks and some pt's thrown in the mix. decent lot of xj's though.

They will go through your tool bag each way tho, I always overload mine so its a hassle to get all the stuff off the top and then put it back in once he opens the gate. They have plenty of wheelbarrows and engine hoists too.

What's even better though, there's hardly any people back in the mopar section either! peace and quiet!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:15 AM

They will on occasion have a MJ on the lot. Since long beds were more plentiful its hard to find a short bed though. XJ's are plentiful and they have all year models on hand.

I enjoy just walking through any junk yard and the way they have that one laid out makes it even more enjoyable.

You can find 8.8's w/disc and lower gear ratio's in the Ford section as well as the Taurus two speed coolant fans.