North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Major repair advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6
Default Major repair advice needed...

Hello all. Been a member on here a few months now, havent really been able to be active since I've been driving tractor trailer for awhile again. I have run into a bit of a problem with my '95 XJ sport. seems as though front left control arm flange tore loose from the axle housing. Do I need to go get another axle housing for this thing? Looking into it, appears that I might need to rebuild practically the entire front end. I dont want this to be the thing that kills this buggy for me, since it has a strong motor, tranny, and gearbox all stock. I rescucitated this thing from a premature death at the hands of people that didnt care a whit about it, and have had it for going on 3 years now. Any good advice on how to get it back on the road again would be appreciated and welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited by Wild Willy; 03-02-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.slow

Pictures would help but I'm thinking you should just replace the control arm. Since its stock a local junk yard would be the cheapest option.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 AM

You are right, pictures would help.The control arm itself is undamaged, yet the flange it attaches to on the axle housing itself, which is factory welded, is what tore loose.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 AM

Default Pictures Of what happened...

Pictures of left front control arm flange torn loose from axle housing...
Attached Thumbnails Major repair advice needed...-2013-03-03-10.20.39.jpg   Major repair advice needed...-2013-03-03-10.21.17.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.slow

Oh damn. You got some serious rust issues going on there. You might be able to cut all that mess off and clean up the axle. Weld on new brackets to rebuild it. I would much rather source a newer axle though. You probably have more issues that that front axle. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that good luck to you.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 AM

X2!= You may be able to clean it up and have new brackets welded on (they sell heavy duty ones) but from the looks of it you probably would need more eventually then its worth putting into that rusted one.

Originally Posted by XJGunny
Oh damn. You got some serious rust issues going on there. You might be able to cut all that mess off and clean up the axle. Weld on new brackets to rebuild it. I would much rather source a newer axle though. You probably have more issues that that front axle. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that good luck to you.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM

Yes, this axle does have serious rust issues. This failed just as I got on the highway 97 miles from my house at 5 pm last wednesday in the middle of a wet, nasty snowstorm. (I had brought my wife upstate to buy a '99 Dodge Stratus. A very sweet car for the money) I limped this this home at max 35 mph like this with her following me. Calling a tow truck would have taken HOURS with a snowstorm like that. It got home little home a little more than 3 hours later. We're fortunate this did not happen at highway speed, but that wasn't gonna happen as the speed limit had been reduced to 45 by the state police. The other side looks fine, but I do not trust since the rust claimed this side. It's been garaged until repair can happen. I'm just a little perplexed as to how to tackle this problem atm.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Back2Spool
X2!= You may be able to clean it up and have new brackets welded on (they sell heavy duty ones) but from the looks of it you probably would need more eventually then its worth putting into that rusted one.
Where would I go to find beefed-up aftermarket brackets for this spot? I want ones to re-do the shock mounts as well.

Last edited by Wild Willy; 03-03-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Wild *****

Where would I go to find beefed-up aftermarket brackets for this spot? I want ones to re-do the shock mounts as well.
Ballistic fab, a to z fab, almost any 4x4 fab shop will have them
Old 03-03-2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by xjfirefighter
Ballistic fab, a to z fab, almost any 4x4 fab shop will have them
Killer, Thank you. I'm also looking into a better axle housing, but either way I go, it looks like this is not gonna be cheap. I need steering knuckles for both sides, upper and lowe ball joints for boths side if axle is gonna be changed out, what a mess.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:08 PM

I would definitely just get another complete assembly, there a dime a dozen. Probably pick one up for 150, I bought my lower mounts from jeeperz creeperz but like i said before you have other issues there that wouldnt make upgrading/welding really be worth it on your existing axle.

Killer, Thank you. I'm also looking into a better axle housing, but either way I go, it looks like this is not gonna be cheap. I need steering knuckles for both sides, upper and lowe ball joints for boths side if axle is gonna be changed out, what a mess.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Back2Spool
I would definitely just get another complete assembly, there a dime a dozen. Probably pick one up for 150, I bought my lower mounts from jeeperz creeperz but like i said before you have other issues there that wouldnt make upgrading/welding really be worth it on your existing axle.
I heard that. Thank you guys. Im gonna update what happens on here when I can get this together.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:40 AM

I heard that. Thank you guys. Im gonna update what happens on here when I can get this together.
Good Luck, It's not too bad swapping axles, but hopefully your bolts on the body side will cooperate!