Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon, Alaska

Another Weekend Campout and Wheeling at Elbe in May??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator
Default Another Weekend Campout and Wheeling at Elbe in May??

Hey all. I have been thinking about doing this again ever since we did it last time a couple years ago. A GREAT time was had by all last time. I say for planning purposes and to see how many bites I get....let's say the weekend of 10 and 11 May 2014. That is the 2nd weekend in May just like when we did it last time....of course with the option to head out there Thursday or Friday or stay until Monday or whatever each individual or group of individuals wants to do. I personally am going to use this date as a goal for having my new Jeep Project Old Red completed. What better place to check out my handy work then to start on the easier trails and then to OF COURSE do the ultimate test by running it on the Busy Wild. Anybody and everybody who even thinks they might be interested in a weekend of camping and wheeling at Elbe Hills in May, post up on this thread. Those of you not familiar with Elbe Hills, The campground is very simple. It has fire pits and picnic tables and room for tents. There is parking close to all of the campsites so you can also bring your RV. In fact I should mention there is a HUGE parking area next to the campground so there is plenty of parking for tow rigs and trailers, too. I know I don't have to sell any of you guys who have been to Elbe because every time I have gone to Elbe everybody who was there had an awesome time and all the wheeling they could handle. So, that being said I'm sure any of you guys who haven't been there will really be itching to go, now. You will need to bring fire wood as there will be NO chopping down of trees in the ORV area. Elbe Hills is a state DNR managed area so a Washington State Discover Pass is required to use it. Also, make sure you bring plenty of your own favorite food and drink and any spare parts, tools and fluids you will need for your Jeep for the weekend. There is a small "quicky mart" store a mile up the road just outside of the ORV area. The town of Elbe is a couple of miles the other direction but, is basically just a wide spot in the road (e.g., 1 quicky mart/gas station, 1 over priced restaurant/inn....if you might want to experience sleeping in an old steam train car) and that's about it for Elbe. The nearest town with a Grocery store and an Auto Parts store is Morton and it is about 15-20 miles away. So, the 2nd weekend in May is 4 months out. That is plenty of time to think it over, make arrangements for time off and get your Jeep ready. So, if you are interested or have any comments or have any questions post up on this thread.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I am interested as long a my wrongler is aloud to hang......
Old 01-08-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in. Gives me motivation also to finish my xj. Are all rigs welcome or are you a jeep only kind of person
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Originally Posted by zte87
I am interested as long a my wrongler is aloud to hang......
Of course, dude!! You know you and your Wrongler are always invited whenever I go wheeling. I still haven't figured out why you traded one of nicest 96 XJs I've seen for that thing but I won't fault you for it...LOL.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by redneck_hybrid
I am in. Gives me motivation also to finish my xj. Are all rigs welcome or are you a jeep only kind of person
I'm a Jeep "Cherokee" only type of person, personally but, the way this worked last time was several smaller groups showed up to camp and then we all got together when it came time to wheel. That being said, as long as you have at least one XJ in your group, anybody you bring with you is welcome. We did pretty much have all Cherokees last time except for a couple of token Wronglers. Really all I ask is that any rig that is brought isn't constantly breaking down or getting stuck and holding everybody else up on the trail. The key word there being "constantly". I understand breakage and getting stuck are part of wheeling but, I like for each driver to be prepared to take care of his or her own rig....whether that means fixing any breakage or getting themselves free from a stuck situation.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 AM

I hear you haha all my buddies have decently modified rigs and all are experienced in trail situations. I just ask because I have a few friends with some wicked yotas that may want to join. I myself have a modded xj and majority of my friends run jeeps. Just asking tho
Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by redneck_hybrid
I hear you haha all my buddies have decently modified rigs and all are experienced in trail situations. I just ask because I have a few friends with some wicked yotas that may want to join. I myself have a modded xj and majority of my friends run jeeps. Just asking tho
Sounds good to me. Yotas kinda have a special place in my heart. My first wheeling rig was an 80 Yota pickup on 6" lift, 35 " mudders, 5.29 gears, locked front and rear and of course a Marlin Crawler double low range TC. I loved that truck!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:29 AM

I appreciate all rigs. My wife has a sami, I have a xj, and my dad and a some friends are into Toyotas
Old 01-08-2014, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

How sure are you your jeep will be done Buck? Im definitely in for this and I will talk to the rest of Jeep Unit and see what they think. I had a blast last time even though I sunk oleblue haha!!

Count me in.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I should be back in time for this so I would be interested
Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 PM

I'm in!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OleBlue
How sure are you your jeep will be done Buck? Im definitely in for this and I will talk to the rest of Jeep Unit and see what they think. I had a blast last time even though I sunk oleblue haha!!

Count me in.
Well, for the first time in ,y adult life I am unemplyed so, I have plenty of time. I just won't be able to throw very much money at it until I find another job. I pretty much have everything I need to put it together so, the time thing is really what I needed....
Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

in for this one.. the kids will be stoked for another camping/wheeling trip
Old 01-09-2014, 01:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

Well i may be back in time, and if i am in, and my Jeep is ready, i am definitely down for this. But it will be cutting it close for me. I will just be pulling my Jeep out of storage then.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Id be down too. I haven't been back to Elbe since last time we were all there. Maybe we can get Alex to fix his junk by then.

Quick Reply: Another Weekend Campout and Wheeling at Elbe in May??