Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ Underwater HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default XJ Underwater HELP

THis is my firt post so I'll try to be as brief as possible. Right after Hurricane Irene Passed through Puerto Rico several Storms have hit us. On SEPT 1 my Jeep was caught underwater due to heavy rain.

When I checked the indide of the Jeep there were water marks as high as 1 ft. on the drivers side. I take a look at the air filter and since it was dry I decided to start the engine. WHen I cranked the engine a lot of water came from the muffler pie (Like a garden hose), drove it around 5 miles, when I checked the engine the oil had a light chocolate kinda color. So i guess water came inside the engine. I took the oil out and let it drain for about 3 days before attempting to change the oil.

After adding oil and Lucas Oil Stabilizer I ran the engine for about 10 minutes, when I checked the oil It was that same light chocolate color. I guess there's still water in the engine.

Can anyone led to a procedure to get rid of the water or any conclusions that the engne needs to be opened or rebuilt? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the pic of the flooding
Attached Thumbnails XJ Underwater HELP-img_0033.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92

I would change plugs ,wires,cap, and change the oil again and until it came out normal. That's all I know but thought I would give u a reply. Hopefully you and your family are all ok. And as far as the ol heep I'm sure somebody else will give you more info. Good look and stay safe .
Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Thats not underwater....

Thats underwater!!!

Lmao. I wouldn't change the plugs yet. Try this first. Pull the line off the ignition coil, then pull all the spark plugs out. Then crank the motor for a good few times.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle
Thats not underwater....

Thats underwater!!!

Lmao. I wouldn't change the plugs yet. Try this first. Pull the line off the ignition coil, then pull all the spark plugs out. Then crank the motor for a good few times.
Nice picture
Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Year: 1988
Default Thanks!

Wow! I didn't expect such a response! Thanx to all that have replied. SO far I'll try out the spark plug thing. I think the engine is still OK with some 400+k miles on it. And for the underwater pic... Only in a Jeep!!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Your very welcome were all family on here. Your ol girl will be just fine
Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Old trick to get water out of your motor: (Do this at your own risk)

1. Drain oil
2. Fill crankcase with kerosene
3. Push gas pedal all the way to the floor and crank motor for 20 seconds. (Pushing gas pedal all the way down on a FI motor will cut off fuel)
4. Wait 1 minute and repeat step 3. Do this a total of 4-5 times. If you hear knocking/grinding noises, cease cranking and drain kerosene out of motor.
5. After your cranking sessions are completed, drain crank case of oil and flush SEVERAL times with clean oil. I suggest purchasing the cheapest oil you can find to do the flushes with. Flush by filling crankcase to factory specs and running engine for roughly 1 minute. Then proceed to drain oil and repeat. Do this until oil is no longer a milky light brown color.
6. Drain oil, replace filter, and fill crankcase to factory specs with your choice of oil.
7. Make sure to dispose of all used fluids properly. Most autoparts stores will take used motor oil for free. Put the kerosene/oil/water mixture on craigslist for free and somebody will take it to burn for heat.

I have used this method several times with success. It's a pricey option, but far less expensive than a new engine.

EDIT: The spark plug trick is usually only for hydrolocked motors. If he was able to drive the Jeep for several miles without it locking up or making a bunch of noise, than I highly doubt the spark plug trick will do anything. It certainly won't hurt to try though.

Last edited by XJeepWerks; 09-04-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:09 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle
Thats not underwater....

Thats underwater!!!

AWESOME PIC!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: stock

check all fluids,,ie diffs,, get under there and grease all ya can ,,check ya trans oil if its a auto........drowned jeep on the side of the road , that's no fun....
glad to here yall safe but...

heres mine on the side of the road.....

Old 09-05-2011, 02:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

The auto trans might be a trouble spot. If fine silt got in there it will work away at things. Some think a well flooded one...just a matter of time. One foot? maybe you're fine. The silt is the main problem for mechanical. I once pulled the pan and used kerocene in a squirt bottle and a brush on a badly flooded engine. Differential also. Repacking wheel bearings and greasing the suspension and steering needs done sometimes anyway. I've used alcohol here and there after a flood. It mixes/rinses water and evaporates way better. Nasty fire hazard though. Don't power up anything electrical until it's WAY dry, TV's ect..better to wait months than to ruin it....Sorry for you, a flood can be tough.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:08 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Originally Posted by Kopecki
EDIT: The spark plug trick is usually only for hydrolocked motors. If he was able to drive the Jeep for several miles without it locking up or making a bunch of noise, than I highly doubt the spark plug trick will do anything. It certainly won't hurt to try though.

True. Thats how I learned to do it, lmao.

Originally Posted by cantab27
heres mine on the side of the road.....

'Merica!

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
The auto trans might be a trouble spot. If fine silt got in there it will work away at things. Some think a well flooded one...just a matter of time. One foot? maybe you're fine. The silt is the main problem for mechanical. I once pulled the pan and used kerocene in a squirt bottle and a brush on a badly flooded engine. Differential also. Repacking wheel bearings and greasing the suspension and steering needs done sometimes anyway. I've used alcohol here and there after a flood. It mixes/rinses water and evaporates way better. Nasty fire hazard though. Don't power up anything electrical until it's WAY dry, TV's ect..better to wait months than to ruin it....Sorry for you, a flood can be tough.
Some good advise. Think he may be alright on the tranny, the breather for it sits rather high, but of course it wouldn't hurt at all to flush it. Diffs definitely too.