Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ Still Overheating.... Grrrr!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6 4.0L
Default XJ Still Overheating.... Grrrr!

Here' the deal guys. I was having an overheating problem. The jeep would heat up to like 210+ and then start overflowing out of the radiator cap. I replaced the water pump (fins were rusted off completely) also replaced the thermostat. That didn't help much at all. Brought it to my normal shop and they seamed to think the head gasket was blown. So i decided not to pay the $1000 for them to do it. So I did all the work about brought the head to a machine shop and they cleaned it and they found no cracks. They resurfaced it at i reinstalled everything. Fired it up and what do you know.... took it out for a drive and the thing is still overheating running at like 230.... Now I'm stuck.... any ideas of what I'm missing here?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

The fins don't rust off it's actually electrolysis caused by years of neglect. So it's for certain the cooling system is in bad shape, have you confirmed temperatures with an IR temp gun? Ever do a compression or leak down test?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 PM

No I haven't yet... I guess thats next step.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:28 PM

Year: 1998

I had the same issue with my 98 and I did the following:

Replaced thermostat
Replaced thermostat housing due to it being cracked
Replaced water pump
Replaced Radiator
Replaced Coolant Reservoir
Replaced line between Reservoir and Radiator
Replaced upper and lower rad hoses.

Needless to say I have no more cooling issues.

What I noticed prior to replacing all of this was that the thin line that goes from the rad to the reservoir was severely clogged and when temps would get high the coolant had no where to go and would leak out the rad cap. (that's my theory). I replaced the reservoir also because it was clogged as well.

When in doubt replace it. That was my approach and it worked out well. Been driving in Las Vegas heat with no heat issues. Now if I can figure out my AC problem all will be good in the world.

Hope this helps
Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by BrewinXJ
I had the same issue with my 98 and I did the following:

Replaced thermostat
Replaced thermostat housing due to it being cracked
Replaced water pump
Replaced Radiator
Replaced Coolant Reservoir
Replaced line between Reservoir and Radiator
Replaced upper and lower rad hoses.

Needless to say I have no more cooling issues.

What I noticed prior to replacing all of this was that the thin line that goes from the rad to the reservoir was severely clogged and when temps would get high the coolant had no where to go and would leak out the rad cap. (that's my theory). I replaced the reservoir also because it was clogged as well.

When in doubt replace it. That was my approach and it worked out well. Been driving in Las Vegas heat with no heat issues. Now if I can figure out my AC problem all will be good in the world.

Hope this helps
Yeah I was talking with my dad earlier and that was kinda what we were thinking... start breaking down the cooling system. I have tried to clean that reservoir hose mine was clogged earlier.

Did yours have like an orange sludge in it when you had all these issues?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MManning199
Here' the deal guys. I was having an overheating problem. The jeep would heat up to like 210+ and then start overflowing out of the radiator cap. I replaced the water pump (fins were rusted off completely) also replaced the thermostat. That didn't help much at all. Brought it to my normal shop and they seamed to think the head gasket was blown. So i decided not to pay the $1000 for them to do it. So I did all the work about brought the head to a machine shop and they cleaned it and they found no cracks. They resurfaced it at i reinstalled everything. Fired it up and what do you know.... took it out for a drive and the thing is still overheating running at like 230.... Now I'm stuck.... any ideas of what I'm missing here?
You shouldn't be blowing out coolant at 210. Have you tried putting a new radiator cap???
Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 AM

Year: 1998

Yeah I was talking with my dad earlier and that was kinda what we were thinking... start breaking down the cooling system. I have tried to clean that reservoir hose mine was clogged earlier.

Did yours have like an orange sludge in it when you had all these issues?
Yes. I had an orange type liquid/sludge coming out. I did several flushes prior to replacing most of the previous mentioned parts. The flushes were very helpful in clearing that crap out.

I would bet that your radiator needs to be replaced. That crap that is coming out of your system and is clogged in your hose is also most likely clogged in your radiator and im not sure flushing it will get it all out.

Just my thoughts.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
You shouldn't be blowing out coolant at 210. Have you tried putting a new radiator cap???
I have tied all different types of caps..... And it's not blowing coolant out while running it starts coming out when I turn it off. Anyways I flushed it today and am going to pressure test it and compression test it tonight or tomorrow. Ill probably end up replacing most of the coolant system I'm guessing....
Old 09-19-2013, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

I have tied all different types of caps..... And it's not blowing coolant out while running it starts coming out when I turn it off. Anyways I flushed it today and am going to pressure test it and compression test it tonight or tomorrow. Ill probably end up replacing most of the coolant system I'm guessing....
Check around neck of radiator for sealing issue have you pressure checked the cooling system and the caps you've been trying ?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Okay problem fixed... Replaced radiator, radiator cap, and temp sensor. Guessing it was the radiator. Also we used a vacuum tool to fill refill the coolant. Done.... Thanks for the help!