Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

xj slop

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 (30 over)
Question xj slop

Ok so me and my dad just recently rebuilt my trannnsmission and motor on my 1993 jeep cherokee, after we got it running well, and the cam all nice and broken, in we took it out for a drive to see how it performed. we went back on a few country roads behind my house so i could drive it, because i dont have my permit yet. but anyways when accelerating it has NO power until it hits about 1800 rpm i think this might just be a plugged cat / muffler or plugged injectors because judging by the spark plugs, its running a bit lean. when it hit about 45 mph it just started to float and the sterring had tons of slop. where do i start to fix this? im thinking its the steering box but thats like 300 bucks i dont want to replace it if i dont have too! mabye it just beeds new wheel berrings. the shocks are also a major factor to the floating problem, because those are completly shot. im holding out on those because i plan on getting a 4" lift and im gona need longer shocks. but if you could help me out with the steering problem that would be great!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Thats a cool picture of you and your dad,anyways I would jackup the front and have someone turn the wheel while you look for any slop,watch the gearbox and if it appears to be tight look for slop in the tierods,balljoints,etc
Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L 242

^x2 also check trackbar bushings
Old 09-28-2009, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I would check for slop in the steering box and bushings in the steering system also. There is a way to tighten up the steering box to get rid of slop, but I dont remember how to do it and you have to be careful or it will get too tight.. Im sure someone else on here will be able to help you. If you are getting a lift I would probably try to hold out on the shocks too, especially if you wont really be driving it.. As for the power issue, do you have a CEL? If you do, take it to autozone or something and get it read; bring us the code, might be as simple as a bad oxygen sensor or something. Running lean might also be a symptom of low fuel pressure, though im not completely sure of this, If I am wrong someone will correct me, im still new at this stuff too..

Hope this helps,
Dylan

Btw: Still think thats a nice jeep, will look good with a lift and some mud terrains..
Old 09-29-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the box they used on these trucks is anything like the 94-02 dodge rams, theres a bolt coming out of the top of the box with a locknut on it. best way to adjust it is to

1. jack up the front end so the tires are off the ground
2. turn the steering wheel full to the left, then turn it full to the right, counting how many turns of the steering wheel it takes.
3. turn it back exactly half that amount, essentially centering your steering system/box.
4. the bolt hax an allen key recess in the top of it. get the appropriate key, and hold the bolt steady while backing off the lock nut.
5. turn the bolt in with the allen key 1/8 - 1/4 turn.
6. tighten the locknut, making sure the bolt doesnt change position. test drive and go from there. if its over tightened, then your steering wheel will have "memory steer", it wont return to center without you making it.

if you have tightened it more than half a turn, i think the bearing preload has to be checked and adjusted, but when i adjusted mine on my dodge it didnt go much past a quarter turn.

the thing that most people overlook on a solid front axle vehicle is the track bar, thatll make your vehicle wander and have lots of slop, and it sucks. its cheap and easy to replace the bushings, and youll appreciate it when its done.